So I spotted a car and have a few questions from you the experts

Author Topic: So I spotted a car and have a few questions from you the experts  (Read 1825 times)

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
So I was on the way home from getting my MRI yesterday (bad news) I happed to do as I always do, hit the side roads and off roads, dead ends and really bad neighborhoods. I am driving along going slow, speed bumps every so often so it isn't so noticable that I am, looking for any cars. I see 2 old motorhomes in the front yard (a really bad area) so I figure family must be living in these and right behind one of them is a 71 Challenger R/T.
It still had the rear valance and I thought I had seen 1 exhaust tip. Mind you it is not easy seeing this car because of the surounding large motor homes. As I droved past the house and I continued to look at the car through the fence between the houses and I see it still had the bulge hood. I could not see the front of the car. It was in a sad faded shape, missing all 4 wheels and unsure if it had paint that was faded or missing in mutilple areas and primer in its place.
I spoke to a lady standing in behind a tall fence talking to a friend and I quickly said that
Hi, I own a Challenger myself and that mine has parts on it that do not belong to it so I am wondering if they belong to yours and yours belong possibly to mine".   
I like using that line because it doesn't look like I am threating or trying to steal the car away from them.
She said that the owner is sleeping and I should come back because she is sure he would want to talk to me...  :bigsmile: I will be back tomorrow....

Not that I am in the market to purchase it, the jury is still out on keeping my 70 Challenger R/T and my 71 GTX at this time, I would love to get a AAR, T/A or an A12 but I just would like to see what this 71 really is, who knows if it is an R/T or not.

So my question to you is, what can you tell me about 71's?
Yes I know I need to check the vin and copy it for Barry, hi Barry.....

What were the engine sizes offered in 71?
What are the options I should look for, incase any are still on this car, I have no idea what is left on it or what has been removed at this time.

Any help from the experts on CC is welcomed!!!!!  :worshippy

And most of all  :useless:  I will try to take a pic of what is there.....

Nick
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009 - 08:45:28 PM by az-nick »

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: So I spotted a car and have a few questions from you the experts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009 - 09:10:16 PM »
Wow very cool nick! Can't wait to see the pics and see if its a real R/T or not. Lots of engine options in 71...r/ts came with 340, 383, 440, 440-6 and hemi's I think.  The same as 70 r/ts with the addition of the 340.    :jumping:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009 - 09:59:26 PM »
Hey Nick,
You can read a lot about the 1971 Challenger options here;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971DealershipDataBook-05.shtml

For the record, I do not track the 1971 cars, the 1970 cars (& their owners) take up all of my available time as it is.

Barry

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009 - 11:23:49 PM »
No 440-4 in 71. Unless it is one of the few weird ones it will have the quarter scoops on the lower quarters right behind the door. They might be missing but you should be able to see where they were if its original paint. Vin callout for an R/T is still the same starting as JS........
340, 383, 440-6 and HEMI were the power plants. No convertible R/T's at all and with only 26k Challengers made in 71 compared to 83k in 70 they are much harder to come by now. Although this site has a bunch of them, they are really as rare as hens teeth in the Challenger world. Good luck and I hope its a HEMI Challenger and you get it for a song!
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009 - 11:44:39 PM »
71's were different than 70's:
The grill had two ovals in it
the headlight bezels and the taillights were different
the shifter was the t handle not the ball
the lower dash bezel was with a moulded lip
the dash gauge was different
1/4 scoops on 1/4 panel

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009 - 12:25:03 AM »
There is a difference between a 70 R/T rallye gauge bezel and a 71? I thought all the 70-71 bezels and rallye gauges were the same.   :clueless:
*Brett*

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009 - 10:33:16 AM »
Don't forget different body stripes.  I can also tell you the door window sweep attachments went from a snap clip to a screw attachment in 71.  LOL...where else will you find out that kind of detail?  :roflsmiley:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009 - 10:34:50 AM »
There is a difference between a 70 R/T rallye gauge bezel and a 71? I thought all the 70-71 bezels and rallye gauges were the same.   :clueless:
70-71 are the same, 72-74 are different.

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009 - 09:46:44 PM »
Well I stopped by and spoke to the owner, he never let me get any closer than 75-100feet away from the car.
I had to stay on the street, he said the car was not for sale and that he has had it fo 0ver 25 yrs.
He did say it was a 318 shallenger that he put the rear valance with the 1 tip on it and the bulge hood.
He said thanks for stopping by and went back into the motor home..... thats it, I was only there for 5 min.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009 - 10:08:13 PM »
Well I stopped by and spoke to the owner, he never let me get any closer than 75-100feet away from the car.
I had to stay on the street, he said the car was not for sale and that he has had it fo 0ver 25 yrs.
He did say it was a 318 shallenger that he put the rear valance with the 1 tip on it and the bulge hood.
He said thanks for stopping by and went back into the motor home..... thats it, I was only there for 5 min.

Any way you could forward him the story about the dad and his son who only wanted to buy back the dads high school car to work on together? Its on cuda-challenger site right now. I just cannot understand people who cling to their cars yet refuse to work on them. One bright note for me personally is a recent checkup I did on a very nice 68 Charger R/T that I saw like 1.5 years ago. I was messing around and since I was close I stopped in. They already have the original 440 built and back in the car even though the chevy mechanic painted it Chrysler blue instead of turquoise. They are about to start on the body and paint which on this car will be a breeze. I was happy to see they are doing something with it and actually visited them for almost an hour. Nice folks. Too bad there are not more like them.
*Brett*

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009 - 10:25:26 PM »
Sorry, I meant the non ralley dash and I thought the light warning light lenses for the 70 were different as the 71 didn't have the oil or something but I think that is wrong.

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009 - 12:51:26 AM »
I hate people like that. You ask about a car and they act rude. >:(
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T