A Nascar surprise....

Author Topic: A Nascar surprise....  (Read 1309 times)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
A Nascar surprise....
« on: March 10, 2009 - 03:31:52 AM »
I have to admit I was a little shocked at the way Kurt Busch dominated the race this week. I figured Dodge was all but done and with the unlimited funds that Toyota has been throwing at it there was no way any Dodge was going to lead 234 of 330 laps. That's more laps led in one race than laps he led all of last year. Anybody else surprised he's only 46 points out of 1st place after 4 races and has more top 10's than his brother Kyle?  :clueless:

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: A Nascar surprise....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009 - 09:01:51 AM »
I kinda quit watching Nascar the last couple years.  It just doesnt hold my interest anymore with them playing favorites.  I did watch the last caution and finish on Sunday, and was suprised myself. 

Gotta spread the wealth in this progressive movement.   :lol:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009 - 09:55:14 AM »
What wins races in NASCAR these days is handling & pit strategy.  Look at the qualifying times and you usually see less than a second from the pole position to 43rd.
http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2009/4/data/lineup.html
All the power in the world does you no good if you can't stick to the track. Obviously some teams get the setup better more often than others but some luck is involved.....some guys are luckier more often than others.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009 - 10:31:23 AM »
Looks like the new engine is paying dividends to Penske. From Allpar>

March 4th, 2009 by DaveAdmin
In a post at the Petty Racing site, “SpacemanSpiff” described why Petty Racing is not using the new Mopar NASCAR engine, as Penske is.
Several factors are involved. First, it appears that development was curtained by GEM for a time due to doubts about Dodge’s continued NASCAR involvement and Gillette’s commitment to Dodge.

The new engine, R6P8, is the sixth generation R-block and eighth generation polyspherical head; it is very different from the previous generation, and requires a major redesign to the car. The engine is also 100 pounds lighter, so the weight distribution in the cars needs to change, requiring more development time and making it inappropriate, again, to attempt to put the new engines into cars designed for the existing ones.

NASCAR’s Car of Tomorrow, according to this source, is less forgiving regarding handling and weight distribution, and there is a ban on testing at NASCAR tracks, which makes the situation more difficult. Penske did run the engine last year in some races, but apparently does not share their information with other Dodge teams.

The R5 was a left-bank-leading engine, while the R6 is a right-bank-leading engine, due to NASCAR’s many specifications; the distributor moved to the front of the engine, and many parts were designed for an integral cable-driven fuel pump drive (electric pumps not being allowed). The R5 was retrofitted to allow this, but the R6 was designed for it. The R6 also has a shorter block, despite slightly wider bore spacing, and has a narrower head casting; some external oil lines were replaced by internal passages. There is now more coolant flow through the engine, and it can be directed by engine builders as needed via orifices (as can oil flow; there is room for oil restrictors as well). This engine therefore has more consistent horsepower for longer periods.

http://www.allpar.com/news/
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009 - 02:56:19 AM »

All the power in the world does you no good if you can't stick to the track. Obviously some teams get the setup better more often than others but some luck is involved.....some guys are luckier more often than others.

I think luck is involved in all forms of racing at all levels. There are so many variables out of your control from mechanical to human error on and off track. Yes preparation helps attention to detail working harder and smarter than the guy next to you, creative interpolation of the rules deep pocket$ all factor into wins.   :2cents:

Richard Petty used to say I would rather be lucky than good any day.

At that level, it’s crazy that a ¼ or ½ pound air in a tire is sometimes the difference in running up front and mid pack.

:iagree: It is getting harder to sit and watch a race lately. :screwy:
Thank goodness for tivo I can now watch a race in an hour or two with no commercials.  :woo:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...