Author Topic: Now on to my clock that doesn't work  (Read 922 times)

Offline doncarson

Now on to my clock that doesn't work
« on: March 10, 2009 - 09:52:08 PM »
Soooo.
I was able to repair my heater fan switch, next the clock does not work. It was hooked up but not moving. I have removed the rally cluster. So I can work on the gages. Any ideas on what to check and how? Also can I check the other gages to make sure they are working corectly?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Don

Offline 73EStroker

Re: Now on to my clock that doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009 - 10:37:31 PM »
Purchase the electronic conversion kit from RT Engineering. They work great and keep accurate time for weeks on end. Little finicky to install but well worth the effort. Otherwise take your clock to one of the big Mopar meets and they will convert it there for you I think for a small extra fee. If you have the tach out do that with their electronic one as well. The e-one works with any aftermarket ignition withot the neeed to purchase a converter module.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009 - 10:03:49 AM »
 :iagree: Get the conersion from RT-eng and do it yourself.  I have very little electrical experience, and I was able to get it done in about an hour.  Works great!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009 - 10:47:01 AM »
 :thinkerg:

I like the idea of saving money....  :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009 - 10:59:56 AM »
i just ordered almost all the repair and parts stuff rt-eng sell for my rallye cluster.

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009 - 11:28:36 AM »
My clock on my car was not working when i got it, i was going to send it off to have it rebuilt when a friend told me to try something before sending it off. if they have not been run for along time they just get stuck, he sprayed a lot of wd-40 down the back of the clock and it started working and has worked ever since. If you do decide to do this make sure that you cover the face of the clock up really good and make sure you dont get any wd-40 in the white lettering on the guage because it will slowly take the white paint off.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline duodec

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009 - 01:47:43 AM »
Depending on the environment the clock is in, WD40 may not be the best idea to leave in place; the stuff can gum up.  Its probably fine for cleaning and freeing up the mechanism.

A long ago article I read recommended using a strong solvent/degreaser (1,1,1 trichloroethane) which is no longer available followed by naptha (lighter fluid), or just naptha but it would take more time and work.  Both need to be kept far away from any painted areas.  The naptha would reportedly provide a little bit of lubricant left behind as the rest evaporated

I cleaned my non-rally clock (which was frozen) mechanism with Berryman B12 carb cleaner (the good stuff before it got EPA'd), and lubed it with micro-Kroil on a toothpick, and it has been working for years now in my garage.  Wish it was working in the car!

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009 - 07:34:28 PM »
i just ordered almost all the repair and parts stuff rt-eng sell for my rallye cluster.
How much did this kit cost??
Jason