Author Topic: How is the "fit" on a Challenger Hedman 78038  (Read 39834 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: How is the "fit" on a Challenger Hedman 78036
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009 - 08:39:42 AM »
Brad, engine location is probably part of the problem. I took a couple of pix of mine and I have about 2" more room than you do. I planned on posting the pix for you to see what I mean but the upload folder is full. Will post later today.
Do you have a 440 also?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009 - 09:13:22 AM »
Do you have a 440 also?
Yup. I just tried to post the pics again but the upload folder is still full. Will try later.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009 - 09:47:38 AM »
Wow. That's great customer service!   Hopefully the new ones will fit like mine have.  Good Luck :cheers:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009 - 09:59:38 PM »
Brad, my son's Charger has uncoated headers.they are fine and not much heat. It is a factory air car anyway.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009 - 07:42:45 PM »
Seems like I have more space.
Scott

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009 - 10:07:38 PM »
Dodji, Thanks for the measurements! I'll have to check them to mine! What brand of headers are those in the pictures? On mine the tubes look bigger too do you think? :dunno:
Mine just hits on the steering shaft coupler near the steering box. Enough so that it's a problem.
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009 - 10:40:13 PM »
Dodji, Thanks for the measurements! I'll have to check them to mine! What brand of headers are those in the pictures? On mine the tubes look bigger too do you think? :dunno:
They're Hedman 030's. On tube size, kinda hard to call. It just looked to me like my engine is a little more to the passenger side than yours. I know they were not hard to 'fit' making me think "the engine is the same, car body is the same, somehow I must have more room - engine mounts?"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 - 10:38:32 PM by dodj »
Scott

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009 - 10:48:01 PM »
They're Hedman 036's. On tube size, kinda hard to call. It just looked to me like my engine is a little more to the passenger side than yours. I know they were not hard to 'fit' making me think "the engine is the same, car body is the same, somehow I must have more room - engine mounts?"
I have the 78038's The seller I bought the car from said the mounts are new. I replaced the k-frame as the original was a hacked up 6 cyl mess.The rubber on the mounts did look new , no cracks etc..
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009 - 11:36:17 AM »
Brad,
Anyone using uncoated headers is nuts!! I got tired of all the heat, and my hot foot on the hiway.
  Mike
I thought the coating was just for looks. Is there really a big difference in radiated heat?
Scott

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009 - 01:06:52 PM »
I thought the coating was just for looks. Is there really a big difference in radiated heat?

I most definitely noticed a difference, especially on the highway for any period of time. My interior would start to bake.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009 - 03:14:10 AM »
WEll I just installed a set of large tube step TTi headers on a 440 , the clearance is amazing , nowhere close to the steering or the T bars even with 1.2" T bars , the clearance for the plug removal was not perfect thugh & needed slight reliefs int he tube for the spark plug socket to clear :bricks1:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009 - 08:18:38 AM »
Pictures :droolingbounce:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009 - 01:59:25 AM »
coming , they are still in the camera  :pullinghair:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2009 - 02:40:43 PM »
Ah gotcha!
Hey I sent Hedman an e-mail with pictures of the Mods I had to make and they sent me this back! I'm impressed! The squeeky wheel does get the grease! I be sure to post what happens next! :clapping:

Hello there, Brad

Thank you, for choosing to use our Hedman street series hedders for your big-block Mopar in 70 Challenger E-body.

We are sorry to know that you may be having several installation issues with this full length long tube coated hedder.

According to your brief description it seem that you may also have a problem with the motor mounts or engine location.

After further review of your pictures you supplied we have found that you have the older style design hedder.

Just until recently in order to improve our fitment for this specific application we have re-designed and improved the clearance on this particular hedder number. We have changed the shape and routing on some of the tubes only on the drivers side.

We would like for you to give us the opportunity to work with you on this to try the newer design hedder.

Please provide us with a copy of your original proof of purchase or invoice in order for us to validate your warranty.

We will need your cooperation in order to work this out through our warranty department staff.

Please feel free to contact us personally by phone at # 562-921-0404 and also send your paperwork by fax to # 562-921-7515.

We are sure we can try to work together towards a reasonable solution.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hedman Performance Group

Customer Service

GRRRRR Just got an e-mail from headman! What a change in "tune"
Here is my reply and the new e-mail

For 1 there have been NO modifications to the car! All I did was install STOCK v-8 K-frame! and NEW motor mounts! The headders do NOT fit so I had to hammer them to fit! You have been around long enough to know this is common practice! Read the last e-mail that was sent to me my Headman personal! This is the "old" design header which you obviusly know doesn't fit! Other wise you wouldn't have changed the design! I did nothing wrong! All I did was lay out almost $600 for headers that don't fit?
Why the change in"tune" from your last e-mail? Please stand behind what you sell!
Brad Richmond
----- Original Message -----
To: 'Richmond Family'
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 11:59 AM
Subject: RE: Headman 78038

Hello:

This is going to be a problem due to the alteration to the hedder.  Once you make a decision to alter the hedder, you void your warranty.  Since there have been major modifications to this car, it is going to be difficult to get a production hedder that is made for a stock configuration.  Since the hedders have been altered, you wont be able to return them to your point of purchase either. 

The only option we really have is to get the hedder sent back here, and we will have to somehow see if we can have it inspected.   The normal procedure is to have the hedder checked in a jig, but since the hedder is altered, we wont be able to do that.

Maybe we can check it in another way, I am not sure till we see it.  If you want, we can issue you a return authorization number, and get it sent back here for evaluation.  I can make you any promises, but we can see what we can do.   You will be responsible for freight both ways.

Let me know if this works for you, and we can proceed.

Thank you,

David

Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 12:08 PM
To: techsupport@hedman.com
Cc: David Czaplicki
Subject: Re: Headman 78038

Hello,

I still haven't head a word back from you 3 e-mails later? Is there anything I need to do on my part? I scanned my reciept and e-mailed it to this address?

I have had the car up on jack stands( with the old header off) for at least 3 weeks now waiting for this new design header? I am REALLY anxious to fire this engine for the first time and drive it for the first time! This header deal is really  holding me up. The engine/car is not new, just new to me.I have replaced the entire front end, k-frame motor mounts brakes etc...The k-frame was replaced as this was a 6 cyl car and I installed a 440,requiring a different k-frame .

Please resond?

Thanks Brad Richmond

----- Original Message -----

To: 'Richmond Family'

Cc: David Czaplicki

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 6:59 PM

Subject: RE: Headman 78038

Hello there, Brad

Thank you, for choosing to use our Hedman street series hedders for your big-block Mopar in 70 Challenger E-body.

We are sorry to know that you may be having several installation issues with this full length long tube coated hedder.

According to your brief description it seem that you may also have a problem with the motor mounts or engine location.

After further review of your pictures you supplied we have found that you have the older style design hedder.

Just until recently in order to improve our fitment for this specific application we have re-designed and improved the clearance on this particular hedder number. We have changed the shape and routing on some of the tubes only on the drivers side.

We would like for you to give us the opportunity to work with you on this to try the newer design hedder.

Please provide us with a copy of your original proof of purchase or invoice in order for us to validate your warranty.

We will need your cooperation in order to work this out through our warranty department staff.

Please feel free to contact us personally by phone at # 562-921-0404 and also send your paperwork by fax to # 562-921-7515.

We are sure we can try to work together towards a reasonable solution.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hedman Performance Group

Customer Service

Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2009 - 03:26:59 PM »
I feel your pain Brad. $600 and your car up on the rack for 3 weeks! with nothing to show for it yet. Give em hell :swear:
I'm thinking of either upgrading my hooker comps to tti's, or just removing them and having them "altered" to fit better and have them coated. I'm tired of the rattling against the steering pump and I think also the left torsion bar.
Whats the easiest way to remove them?
I'm assuming disconnecting the steering and lowering the whole kframe/engine is necessary?
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....