Author Topic: labor agreement in canada for chrysler  (Read 3262 times)

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
labor agreement in canada for chrysler
« on: March 15, 2009 - 02:34:18 AM »
 :stirpot: Chrysler LLC can't afford the same labor agreement General Motors Corp. (GM) signed with the Canadian Auto Workers union and if the deal can't be sweetened, it would be more cost effective for Chrysler to pull out of Canada, Reuters reported, citing a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Chrysler said it needs to cut C$20 an hour from a total C$76 an hour in labor costs if it wants to stay viable in Canada, the report said. Estimates are that the CAW-GM deal offers slightly over C$7 an hour in savings, Reuters reported Friday.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009 - 10:55:38 AM by 4Cruizn »
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: labor agreement in canada for chrysler
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009 - 02:40:21 AM »
I hope they move production to Jersey. I'd work for $56 an hour.  :bigsmile:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Tower Rat 95B

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009 - 05:01:45 AM »
I hope they move production to Jersey. I'd work for $56 an hour.  :bigsmile:

Ha Ha well said  :2thumbs:,,,,, I am sure a lot of people would work for less than what a they presently get  as a matter of fact my hourly wage (and most workers in my area) and package isn't even remotely close to 76 dollars an hour.......  Mopar should open a plant in N.Y. , they get my job application in a heart beep.......

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009 - 05:27:47 AM »
I'm not sure of the exact number but that $56/hr labor cost includes what the call legacy costs.  This is all the benefits paid to past and present workers for all benefits.  It's the actual cost to the company per employee, not what the guy takes home.  I would bet out of that $56/hr, "Joe 6-pack" gets $35/hr, $25/hr after taxes.

Still not bad, but no where near the $56/hr that gets reported.

Offline 30below

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009 - 08:26:41 AM »
$56 US plus 25% for our crappy dollar =$70 Canadian.And if what Katfish said is true,$35 - about 35% taxes=22.75

Offline t1971Chally

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009 - 08:30:46 AM »
Well I know what I am about to say will not be very popular with some here but I am going to say it anyway.  :stirpot: :stirpot: I would be all for pulling out of the Windsor Assembly Plant and moving back into the St. Louis South facility which used to build the same minivan as Windsor currently does.  Cheaper labor, cheaper operating costs, more efficient, and SHOULD HAVE BEEN A REQUIREMENT TO TAKE TAX PAYER DOLLARS (even if it is a loan)!!!!!   We need to bring manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.!!!!   :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag:
Ted
1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Magnum
:cheers:

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009 - 09:01:28 AM »
I'll already say sorry to my buddies north of the border now!!!!!!!

:iagree:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline 73dce

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009 - 09:08:57 AM »
Bring them to Kokomo, we have a plant or two here that they could move into.

Offline 2cudas2go

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009 - 10:41:13 AM »
The US is not the only country losing jobs, and moving jobs from Canada to the US is not necessarily going to benefit the US. Since a large amount of Canadians spend their money south of the border anyway. It's the US and Canadian companies that decided (out of outright GREED) to move Canadian and US jobs to 3rd world countries, are the ones that are mostly to blame for what is going on today in Canada and the US. Those companies should be severely penalized for their actions and forced to bring those jobs back.

:canada:

2cudas2go
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009 - 10:48:56 AM by 2cudas2go »

Offline 73dce

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009 - 12:29:45 PM »
Give them a year to bring the jobs back, if not tax them 100% on everything they bring in the U.S.  I believe that is the fall of America, the greediness of big business, we don't have enough manufacturing jobs.
Have you lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009 - 01:01:55 PM »
While it's true it's mostly the "Legacy" costs of retired workers that's dragging the Big 3 down I don't see those retired people rushing in to give up their benefits to keep the companies in buisness. They made great wages for the life of their employment which should have been more than enough to save for their retirement, and they all get the same social security and Medicare everybody else gets, but they would obviously rather see them go belly up than give up one dime away to help keep the current workers on their jobs or keep the company that gave them a good life in buisness. They've always gotten their way, just like a spoiled child. They don't get it and never will.  :2cents:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline SilverChally

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009 - 02:42:04 PM »
Move it to the states... then I can buy one made in the USA!  I'm curious, how many vehicles do they sell in Canada compared to the states?  And I'm sure theres lots of people who'd work for 15-20 an hour, around here that'd be a great paying job.
70 challenger project
68 satellite

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009 - 02:48:58 PM »
the $76 / hr includes medical benefits , retirement pensions  , pensions & unemployment paid the the government ,typically the employee is lucky to get 1/2 of this in his pocket & then the government collects over 50% of that from the employee in canaduh in direct & indirect taxation . This is the cost of having employees plain & simple

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009 - 03:54:18 PM »
I'll even sacrifice greatly and take just 1/2 of that, or $38 to screw seats and fenders onto cars in a nice heated building. :bigsmile: Anyway you cut it it's hard to rationalise the pay they get for the skill required to do their jobs. 

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009 - 05:31:54 PM »
I am just thinking out loud, but I wonder what would happen to the pensions of all the retired Chrysler employees if Chrysler (or any one of the big 3) goes belly up?? Would they lose their pensions?? Are there guarantees in place for this?? If not, that would add more folks to the already taxed welfare rolls!! More trickle down loses!! :22yikes:

Matt B.
Matt