What would you do? Viper or Challenger?

Author Topic: What would you do? Viper or Challenger?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline 2000gt

What would you do? Viper or Challenger?
« on: March 19, 2009 - 01:03:22 AM »
Hey guys, wrestling with a decision and wanted a different take on the situation:
I currently have a 70 Cuda (440 auto but have a Hemi and a 18spline 4 speed for it), and a 08 SRT8  Challenger that was written off but we are repairing it.  Last summer I bought a 500 ci stroker motor from a local guy here, motor made 700 horse on pump gas (I have the dyno sheet) and was a big dollar build with next to no miles on it.  I recently talked to the guy I bought the motor off and I MIGHT have the opportunity to buy the 73 Challenger the motor came out of.  The car is VERY well done and he has full documentation of the resto.  This guy is not one to cut corners and it shows in this car.  It went a best of 9.90 but is a streetable (as in short trips, not going cross country in this one) .  One knock on the car is it has fiberglass fenders and nose but they don't look it.  I'm considering buying the car but also have been wanting a GTS viper for a while.  Financially I'm looking at a toss up between the two.  Based on the cars I already have, what would you guys do and whats the rationale?  Thanks, Tyler

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: What would you do? Viper or Challenger?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009 - 01:07:43 AM »
I say go for a Viper GTS. You already have an old ebody, but your new "fun" mopar is in need of repair. Besides its a Viper do you need any other reason than that.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009 - 01:17:19 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking about that fact that I don't really NEED two old Ebodies, plus my old man has a 70 Hemi roadrunner and a 68 GTX vert so we do have a lot of old mopars.  However, it's not everyday though that you get a chance to pick up a legit 9 second car for less than half of what it cost to build?  Thanks for the input

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009 - 01:21:09 AM »
Challenger or Viper? I have driven both and you will have more fun in the Viper and you can drive it anywhere. The fact that you already have a classic just makes the decision even easier. Good luck and to tell the truth you really cannot go wrong either way.   :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009 - 10:05:41 AM »
Good Luck on your choice.  I think it would be hard to decide myself.  Not sure which way I would go also with what you have already.  Plus being able to get the car for less than it would cost to build it sounds like a real good deal.   :2cents:   :2thumbs:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline kmyles

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009 - 10:26:43 AM »
I say go for a Viper GTS. You already have an old ebody, but your new "fun" mopar is in need of repair. Besides its a Viper do you need any other reason than that.
:iagree:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009 - 12:13:39 PM »
I would & I am looking for a Viper GTS they are a whole different experience from the old muscle & you have one already so I have to vote for the Viper as well
 Anyone want to buy my Restored Charger ??

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009 - 12:19:24 PM »
I agree with what's already been said here on the Viper. It will also more than likely hold it's value better than the Challenger since the Challenger isn't the original drivetrain or number's matching and has replaced fiberglass parts. The Challenger; should you decide to sell it some time in the future would only appeal to a small market such as someone looking for a pro/street car whereas the Viper would have a much wider appeal. Go for the Viper!! :woo:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009 - 01:15:48 PM »
I vote like most of the others with getting a Viper especially since you have other old mopars. Look at these pics I took .....they may help you decide.
1974 Barracuda

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009 - 01:20:03 PM »
Well, you have the cuda, and if I was to buy an older CHallenger it would be a 70 or 71 and not one that ran 9's. IF you wnat a race car then fine, but the viper would a fun car to tear around in and the cuda fills the void to drive an old muscle car so viper :money:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009 - 01:29:04 PM »
I would & I am looking for a Viper GTS they are a whole different experience from the old muscle & you have one already so I have to vote for the Viper as well
 Anyone want to buy my Restored Charger ??

:iagree: except for the charger part ...I dont have one :sly:

I am also looking for a viper deal to snach up.  :rofl:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009 - 02:00:07 PM »
Like pretty much everyone else said......you have the old, go new. I have not driven a Viper, but I can only imagine how awesome they are.
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009 - 02:30:16 PM »
Seems pretty clear cut what you guys think, thanks for the input, Tyler