Author Topic: vehicle history search?  (Read 520 times)

wagesofsin

vehicle history search?
« on: March 22, 2009 - 05:20:57 PM »
after doing a search on here for some leads, i came up empty. anyone know of a good vehicle history search engine, site, individual?

just curious where my true loves have been in the last 30 + years.

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
Re: vehicle history search?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009 - 06:01:18 PM »
I tried looking into the history of my R/T many times, and I always come up empty  :walkaway:
 The only history I have on my Chally is the owner before me was from around Orange, MA.....he was getting a divorce......he threw out the original dash pad with the VIN still on it  :crying:

I contacted the RMV/DOT a few years back, and this is what I got for a response,

Dear DOT Customer,

Unfortunately, we are not aware of any comprehensive database for pre-1981 vehicles.

You may want to see if there are any companies in your area that offer investigative services for cars.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (US DOT) does not maintain a database that contains vehicle information by Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). However, you may find the following private sources of interest:

The regulation that covers format, content and physical requirements for VIN's can be found in 49 CFR 565 at: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_06/49cfr565_06.html
For information on vehicle and manufacturer codes, please see: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VINcode.html

For the Auto Insurance Tips page, "How to decode your car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)", please see: http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/vin.htm

(Note: The above private-sector sites are not maintained by US DOT or any other US Government office. We take no responsibility for the content or accuracy of any non-US DOT web page, and offer the above links strictly as a courtesy, should you be interested.)

Sincerely,

Reference Services
National Transportation Library
Bureau of Transportation Statistics
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
U. S. Department of Transportation

-----Original Message-----
Date:   Monday, August 20, 2007  07:51 PM
To:   dot.comments@dot.gov (dot.comments@dot.gov)
Subject:  Vehicle history?

Hi,
I will not waste much of your time, as I'm sure you are very busy.
I was just hoping you could point me in the right direction.
I do not know where else to go.
 I would like to know how to go about finding the history on my vehicle, (past owners/registered where? etc...).
It is a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T.
I am from Massachusetts.

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

wagesofsin

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009 - 06:18:10 PM »
sheesh, how do these guys in the rags always have full histories? and im thinking not everyone keeps a good solid paper trail. high dollar cars, yep, not a barn find.
someone knows, the shadow maybe?
and we know he aint talkin!!

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009 - 06:41:21 PM »
 Although......... the regulations that were sent to me were for Massachusetts.
Maybe down in Florida the records database is possibly different, and maybe they keep a longer log history?
 Might be worth a try to get in touch with the RMV/DOT?
Ya never know  :dunno:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts