Author Topic: Gas tank pressure building up  (Read 987 times)

Offline daveh

Gas tank pressure building up
« on: March 24, 2009 - 11:27:34 AM »
He guys I need an alternative solution.  The previous owner of my 1971 Challenger installed a new tank without the vent tubes attached.  Because there's no vent in the tank I need to figure a way out to vent it because it builds up a fair amount of pressure.  What do you guys suggest?  I know a vented gas cap will work but I am going to be installing a flip cap are they vented?  Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Gas tank pressure building up
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009 - 11:58:22 AM »
I have the flip-top gas cap setup. I just drilled a small hole in the inner cap. It's not like anyone else besides me will know.   :misbehaving:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline daveh

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009 - 12:50:29 PM »
Easy solution to fix thanks

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009 - 09:48:41 PM »
A vented valved cap allows air in but not out. If you drill a hole in your cap, then fill your tank all the way up, when the gas expands it will dribble out and wash down the side of your quarter.  If I were you, I would pull the filler tube and weld or sweat on a hose fitting on top just like the 70' non-emission cars had and run a line or hose down into the frame rail like the factory did.  If you don't run a vented cap or vented line you also risk sucking your gas tank into a smaller shape.

I use a locking-vented cap under my flip-top that you can get at almost any auto parts store, along with my factory relief tube.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0