Author Topic: Tire Pressure  (Read 789 times)

Offline dodge freak 2

Tire Pressure
« on: March 28, 2009 - 05:25:05 PM »
How in the world does one know what tire pressures to run on these 35-45 year old cars  :walkaway:

My ride had A/C but every little bit is gone, in the trunk is 5 amps and a heavy 12 inch sub woofer (the other amps are for the 4 speakers on the deck lid and each door has speakers, all hidden too).

My new tires are Goodyear Eagle  Response Edge, the max pressure is 44 psi....I used to run 30 psi with my old Goodyear Regatta but those max pressure was 35 psi. I learn with two old tires that any more than 28-30 psi wears the tires in the middle but I don't wanna learn the same way with these.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009 - 05:28:02 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Tire Pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009 - 06:08:55 PM »
it is kinda tough to sort it out you want full contact to the edge of the tire without unloading the center of the tire , I slide a piece of paper under the edge of the tires to see where it makes contact but it is more difficult to figure out the center contact

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009 - 06:19:42 PM »
Hmmm, that paper trick sounds good. Maybe I start at 40-45 psi and work down with the paper--might even use the jack in back to take some weight off the back tires. Once I can slip the paper by part of the tire I would reduce the air pressure till it seems even and then reduce it a few more psi.

I also hear to just go 85% of max pressure but the paper idea makes more sense.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009 - 07:17:51 PM »
Do a short burnout and look at the marks it leaves.  Too lines about the width of the tire apart and you need more pressure, one narrow strip in the center and you have too much, a nice equal black patch the width of the tire and you have the right pressure. 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009 - 07:46:27 PM »
Do a short burnout and look at the marks it leaves.  Too lines about the width of the tire apart and you need more pressure, one narrow strip in the center and you have too much, a nice equal black patch the width of the tire and you have the right pressure.

I thought that was used just for the track? I used to do that but in my case the air pressure was usually quite a bit less than 32 psi, usually about 18-22 in my case.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009 - 08:23:25 PM »
  Most tyres generally work between 28 to 32 psi, more pressure only needed when extra weight put in trunk. Pressures below 26 will usually see the inner & outer edges wear more. 
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009 - 09:29:12 PM »
every tire is different though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t