Author Topic: Installing the engine/trans combo.  (Read 859 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Installing the engine/trans combo.
« on: March 28, 2009 - 11:34:14 PM »
I have always dropped my engines in from the top but then again I have never had a freshly painted engine bay to contend with either. What would be the best way to drop the powerplant and trans in, take the K member off and come up from the bottom or use a cherry picker with the screw positioner and come in from the top? I know I would have to wrap something around the tailshaft if I came in from the top. I dont like to do it this way but also dropping the engine in solo and then installing the trans from underneath is also an option. What pros and cons do you guys see and which install technique do you recommend? Out of those 3 ways the only one I have never tried is the k member from underneath. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

P.S. I hope this is the right forum, looks like CP has been busy  :faint:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Stacked440

Re: Installing the engine/trans combo.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009 - 11:51:30 PM »
From my experience Chryslers are far easier to put the whole cradle in from the bottom, and I suppose it is the right section....if its a 5.7L or 6.1L  :bigsmile:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009 - 11:59:07 PM »
Well I dunno, its a 6.6    :bigsmile:
*Brett*

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009 - 12:03:54 AM »
CP will post here soon - he says he brings them in from the bottom whenever possible.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009 - 12:06:02 AM »
My k member is pretty much bare so I guess if I pulled it out it would make it easier to either paint it or powder coat it.
*Brett*

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009 - 02:57:52 AM »
I quit doing them from the top about 6 years ago
 from the bottom they go in fully dressed , headers on Alt water pump even fan belt & power steering is all assembled , I install the wiring on the engine as well , & usually the carb , it is so stupid simple , not scratches in the engine bay or on the fenders , also by removing the K you can detail the suspension & check for worn parts which are simple to replace on the  floor . I will take pix when I put mine back in . The last customer I did it for I talked it over with him & he decided to try my way , about 1 hour later when the engine was in place he told me " you have to be more forceful about doing it this way " he was blown away at how smoothly & fast it goes in , I had just agreed to do it which ever way he chose 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009 - 08:07:23 AM »
I quit doing them from the top about 6 years ago
 from the bottom they go in fully dressed , headers on Alt water pump even fan belt & power steering is all assembled , I install the wiring on the engine as well , & usually the carb , it is so stupid simple , not scratches in the engine bay or on the fenders , also by removing the K you can detail the suspension & check for worn parts which are simple to replace on the  floor . I will take pix when I put mine back in . The last customer I did it for I talked it over with him & he decided to try my way , about 1 hour later when the engine was in place he told me " you have to be more forceful about doing it this way " he was blown away at how smoothly & fast it goes in , I had just agreed to do it which ever way he chose

I've been too chicken to try it that way.  I think I will give it a shot next time.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009 - 10:42:45 AM »
I've done it both ways. I prefer going from the bottom, but it doesnt take any more or less time overall. Just less time "on the hook" so to speak. It's MUCH easier with a lift as the body goes straight up and straight down, as opposed to lifting just the nose over it which is an arc. Either method can be done to provide no damage. It really comes down to what you're most comfy with and equipped to do. 

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009 - 01:32:48 PM »
I always cringe when the whole enchilada is hanging in the air over the radiator support. My worst nightmare would be a chain failure that would essentially turn the front of the car into a crushed tin can. I think, even though I will have to do it arc style due to the lack of a lift, I am going to try it from underneath.
*Brett*

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009 - 01:49:03 PM »
 I did mine from underneath and as with everything else I was all by my lonesome. Wouldn't do it any other way. Pete