Author Topic: Knock noise  (Read 1400 times)

Offline erat340

Knock noise
« on: March 29, 2009 - 09:41:04 PM »
Just put on Eddy heads on my stock 73 340. Now I hear loud knocking on startup for three seconds only , then all is quiet. Otherwise, have 200 miles and performance is great.What could this be?

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Knock noise
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009 - 09:46:48 PM »
A knock at start up is NEVER good.....
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009 - 09:58:19 PM »
As was said, this is not good.
Is that the same amount of time for the engine to build oil pressure?    Did the compression ratio increase with the head change so your putting more pressure on tired connecting rod bearings.
If it was a loose piston, too much clearance to cylinder, they usually take a little time to heat and expand, maybe rattle for 5-10 seconds.  Also their rattle is typically NOT a loud knock.   Valve train noise is not a loud knock either.

Put a timing light on the engine, then start it up.  Knocking that matches the flashes of the timing light means the knock is matching spark plug ignition rate of fire.  This would typically mean a rod bearing as the burning fuel is pushing down hard on the piston with each spark.

Without being there to hear it, my guess would be a loose rod bearing, meaning the bearing is worn alot.  How many miles on the short block?   Doesn't matter to some extent, a poor rebuild could knock after a few thousand miles.
Its a bit of a hassle to remove the oil pan without pulling the engine.  I've done it on many cars, so probably can be done.  Lift up the engine with a hoist or screw jack on 4x4 laid across the fenders with chain over top of jack and down around the crank pulleys, drop the idler arm from the k-frame, maybe have to disconnect a tie rod end, pull the pan, and inspect every rod bearing.  If you catch it early enough could just drop in a fresh set of rod bearings (all 8 rods) and be good to go.  Might pull one main cap off just to see how they look, although they usually will outlast the rod bearings.  Best to at least plastic gage the clearance between new rod bearing and crank journals.   sorry to ramble.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009 - 10:01:06 PM by femtnmax »
Phil

Offline erat340

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009 - 10:09:07 PM »
Thanks Phil....looks like I might be doin some tearin & spectin!

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009 - 10:29:06 PM »
If you have hydraulic lifters, it could be a lifter leaking down.  This would cause a knocking sound until it pumped back up.  It might be a little easier and cheaper to check those first before you start tearing down whole engine....    :thumbsup:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline erat340

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009 - 10:59:39 PM »
Lifters were my first suspect. Cam upgrade was next on the list,although I too am experiencing financial misery. Take heart fellow members, things will get better!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009 - 12:44:35 AM »
Sounds scary. A lifter will tap some before pump up but I have never heard one knock. Might be a good idea to not run it until the source of the knock is found. Good luck, hope nothing is hurt in the engine.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009 - 09:55:18 AM »
Is the cam bolt tight? The ecentric to the fuel pump lever could wobble maybe. Distributer drive may be bad and twisting. Is the knock in the front , middle, back, top, or bottom?  Aluminum heads.  Wonder if the valve seat is locked in right.  Cut your oil filter apart and see if there is any material trapped in it. Looking like aluminum , brass, or metal.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009 - 11:49:32 AM »
My money's on the lifter preload changing, or possibly heavier springs squishing the oil out of the lifters when shut down and the oil takes a few seconds to reach them and pump them back up. Not a huge deal.
Unless, you dropped some gasket nasties in the pan while doing the work. Have you heard a rod knock before? As opposed to a lifter noise? If not, find someone local who has, and dont drive the car until they hear it.

Offline erat340

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009 - 01:21:20 PM »
Thanks so much for your ideas guys.....since I will be pulling intake shortly, I think Ill check those lifters first.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009 - 05:52:18 PM »
You have adjustable roller rockers with those Eddy heads, don't you?

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline erat340

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009 - 10:14:38 PM »
Yes....Compcams magnum rollerrocker/shaft/pushrod kit 1322-16RP....withHughes stud/billet/shims holddown kit. Lifter preload was adjusted per "the chart" ,no slack+1/8 turn....1/2 turn...and one turn...made no diff in startup noise.