Author Topic: DAAAAAMN!!!!!!  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
DAAAAAMN!!!!!!
« on: April 01, 2009 - 09:06:55 AM »
So i visited my local tireshop today, to have them put on the brandnew Draglite wheels that i just received for my black beauty. ...and what did i have to see: THEY DON'T FIT!  :pullinghair:

When trying to put the rearwheels on, the tires would rub on the leafsprings. But not just slightly touching them, the rubber pushes hard against the springs, so that the wheel won't even move when it's bolted on.  :working: :hyper:

To avoid this in the first place, i have read through countless infos on Challenger tire dimensions and was told that 275/60/15 on 15x10" rims with 5 1/2 bs would definitely fit. Well they don't. So my guess is that either suspension of my car has been modified along with the axle (got a 8 3/4 rear), or the company has sent me wheels with wrong backspacing. Didn't check about the frontwheels yet, but they should be fine.

Sending the 2 "wrong" rims back is not really an option, since they came all the way from the states to Europe and already have the rubbers mounted. So i can either use spacers, or order two new rims with correct backspacing.

Here's a pick of the springs and rear with the wheel removed. Are the springs unusually close to the wheelbolts? What do you guys think?

Cheers,
DC

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: DAAAAAMN!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009 - 09:11:17 AM »
I run 275x60x15's on my barracuda, but with 15x7 factory rims. 15x8 factory rims work also. I am not sure who said 15x10 rims, but 5.5 bs wouldnt work as stock location

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009 - 09:12:51 AM »
One way around the problem would be by using Dr. diffs offset front hangers and rear shackles. That's how I'm going to do and he also ships to Europe without problems. Although you would need relocate the leaf spring perches with some cut and weld.

Also I don't think that 10" wide rim would with without using the offset hangers? I ordered 9.5" rims with 5.5" backspace for my car and as I said I'm also intending to use the offset hangers.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009 - 09:27:54 AM »
I used a 275 60 15 tire on the back of my Challenger, but I have 8 inch wide rim with a 4.5 inch back spacing.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009 - 09:49:02 AM »
I run 275x60x15's on my barracuda, but with 15x7 factory rims. 15x8 factory rims work also. I am not sure who said 15x10 rims, but 5.5 bs wouldnt work as stock location

:iagree:  As far as I have read on this site, 15x10 rims won't work unless you move in the springs.  I've usually seen that 15x8 with like 4.25-4.5 max back space is what will work on a stock suspension.

So....for your situation, what do you guys think?   :dunno:  He's looking for a solution.

Spring relocation?  Spacers may or may not work.  How close are you to the fenders?  :clueless:  Did Stroker get 15x10 rims to work with a stock setup?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009 - 09:55:06 AM »
I would relocate the springs.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline cwestra

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009 - 10:39:50 AM »
Not sure if the spring location is different on Challenger than on Cuda.  But below is a picture of where it is on my '70 Cuda.  You can see that it is positioned in further from the larger section of the axle end than on yours. 
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Born_Fast

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009 - 11:17:44 AM »
www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=39874.0

You can run a 15x10" rim on a stock E-Body. I put 275/60s on a 15x10" cop rim on my 'Cuda. The back spacing was 5-1/2" and it fit. Just. It was close but nothing to worry about. No rubbing at all. (snip) ...It's as large as they go before you need to go custom. Worst case scenario you may have to trim 0.2" (2-3mm) off your wheel lip molding if you run them. But, you'll be fine.

(snip) 15x10" with a 5.5" BS did fit on my 'Cuda (not Challenger) with an 8-3/4", no rubbing. I wouldn't post anything to risk or harm a member or waste other members time and money. Cudas are different, a little less room, like, 1/4"? on each side. A Challenger would be fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Above you see part of my discussion about widest possible wheelsize on a stock setup. Not to blame anyone, but now i have to find a solution.

So what is the easiest / fastest / cheapest / or simply put best way to get those wheels on my car? Spacers? Spring relocation?

Edit: It looks like there is still some room to the fender lip once the wheel is on. But hard to tell how much exactly, especially in corners and under weight. I guess i'd better roll the fender lips anyway - just to make sure.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009 - 11:26:51 AM by Dreamcruiser »

Offline Born_Fast

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009 - 11:54:51 AM »
And if moving the springs in would be the best solution, then which kit should i get and how far should i move the springs in? Would it affect the damper performance or ride height if i relocate the springs?

Thanks,
Ralph

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009 - 12:01:43 PM »
Moving the springs in wouldnt hinder you anything really noticeable at all.  Doc differential sell a kit pretty cheap and just a little welding and your problem should be non existant. So under 200 more bucks and the labor to re weld the perches is about all that is holding you back from doing a burn out.   It's a real pita tho isnt it?  I feel for you

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009 - 12:42:18 PM »
When I bought the 9 1/2" Centerlines for mine I also somehow ordered the wrong ones. I sent them back and got the right ones. I'll have to pull a wheel to see what the BS is. I'll do that today and check.  :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Born_Fast

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009 - 12:46:14 PM »
Moparal, i couldn't find anything about this Doc Dif kit on the web. Can you post a link please?

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009 - 02:30:30 PM »
Don't know where you got the 5 1/2" BS info, but mine measure 5" from the back of the mounting pad to the outer edge of the rim. I think that's how they determine that dimension(?) A few pics. These are 9 1/2" rims and there is room outward for 10" rims.

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009 - 03:05:03 PM »
Doctor Diff alias Cass Eslick is more or less regular at moparts.com. His old website went down some time ago but some other member saved some off his old page's content and it is stored at www.doctordiff.com. His Contact info is also listed there. He usually answers emails pretty fast if he is in town. As I said he is a great guy to deal with and has no problem with the shipping to Europe (I live in Finland).

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009 - 06:02:30 PM »
Thanks for posting that for him. I talked to Cass yesterday. He is back working after his foot surgery. Dreamcruiser, you can trust him. He will do you good