Author Topic: DAAAAAMN!!!!!!  (Read 3399 times)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: DAAAAAMN!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009 - 06:31:57 PM »
I used a 275 60 15 tire on the back of my Challenger, but I have 8 inch wide rim with a 4.5 inch back spacing.

Same here.... no problems!  :2thumbs:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009 - 06:48:55 PM »
Spacers might work, but you'll have to consider a couple of things. One, is there room to move the wheel closer to the fender, and two, how big of a spacer will you need vs how long are your wheel studs? If you have outward room, spacers may be a cheaper option, but only if you don't have to buy 3" studs, pull the axles and have them pressed in.

I'm with everyone else so far on this, the best way to do this is to relocate the springs. Dr Diff's 1" relocation kit should be fine, and it shouldn't really change anything significant other than the location of the perches on the rearend.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009 - 08:16:12 PM »
Though 5" is the correct BS if you want the maximum rim width under the stock suspension.  :2thumbs: 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009 - 11:58:19 PM »
I see a couple of things wrong.
With thick drag style wheels you need to get longer studs.  They need to stick out at least 1/2" past the wheel and washers into the lug nut head for strength.

Did you check both sides of the car? You may find that the tire comes much closer to the quarter panel lip on the driver side then the passenger side.  Maybe too close. That means you wont be able to use spacers.

What you need is to get a '65 to '70 B body rear end and a spring relocation kit as mentioned above. That would put the wheels in the right place. (no cutting or welding needed)

Either that or get smaller Draglites. I believe those are your choices.

I have that setup in mine and Stroker did too but I think his is reworked now. Anyway, I realize you probably don't have one of those B-bod 8 3/4s laying around but that's what you need. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009 - 01:30:38 AM by 360 »

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009 - 12:38:01 AM »
The correct way to measure rim back spacing. You obviously have to consider tire bulge too. I would never mount tires on big rear rims without trying the rims on the car FIRST.  :thinkerg:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009 - 12:40:04 AM by 71chally416 »
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009 - 05:03:20 AM »
Thanks guy,

i really hope i don't have to change to a B-body rearend. You have to know that whatever parts i need for my car, i have to order in the states and ship to Europe, get it through customs, etc. So i really wanna fit in the wheels with as little effort as possible. And that will hopefully work with a proper spring relocation kit (from what i've read so far).

71chally: trying on the rims is not really an option here, as no dealer stocks wheels for classic cars. They all just order on demand.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009 - 05:36:17 PM »
DC-

I'm not sure a B-body rear will help you. It'll move the wheels inboard as well as the springs, but the relationship doesn't change between the springs and the axle. The b-body rear is 2" narrower, but so are the perches. It would allow you to run bigger tires with the same backspacing for a stock E body. Since your backspacing is the problem, you either need spacers (basically a longer axle, not a shorter one), or to relocate the springs without shortening the axle.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009 - 05:55:37 PM »
 :iagree: Moving the springs in is what you need to do.  It's up to you how far.  Will 1" work, or 2".  Either way, it's a relatively easy fix.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009 - 06:12:07 PM »
71chally: trying on the rims is not really an option here, as no dealer stocks wheels for classic cars. They all just order on demand.

Don't feel bad my friend. I made the same mistake when I bought mine. I probably believed the same bad information you did. I was just fortunate that I got to send them back to Summit before mounting the tires.  :swear:

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009 - 06:18:59 PM »
DC-

I'm not sure a B-body rear will help you. It'll move the wheels inboard as well as the springs, but the relationship doesn't change between the springs and the axle. The b-body rear is 2" narrower, but so are the perches. It would allow you to run bigger tires with the same backspacing for a stock E body. Since your backspacing is the problem, you either need spacers (basically a longer axle, not a shorter one), or to relocate the springs without shortening the axle.

Not true. You get about a quarter of an inch more on the B-bod then the E-bod.  Also you could use a quarter inch spacer with the B-bod for safety and not come close to the quarter lip
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009 - 06:22:13 PM by 360 »

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009 - 07:11:29 PM »
If you have to order parts as in used parts, you should look in Canada as well.
The dollar is low in Canada right now and most of the time.
You can get lots of great deals that way.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009 - 01:42:37 AM »
Not true. You get about a quarter of an inch more on the B-bod then the E-bod.  Also you could use a quarter inch spacer with the B-bod for safety and not come close to the quarter lip

360's right, the B-body rear would give a 1/4" over the e-body. But if the rubber is pushing against the springs hard enough to stop the wheel from turning more than 1/4" would be needed. Another 1/4" spacer might work to clear it, but at this point you're going to need a B-body rear, 3" studs, and a good set of spacers. Why not just relocate the springs? Easier, cheaper, and no need to find a B-body rear. And if you need more than a 1/4" spacer to clear things up you won't be gaining much on the fender side anyway...

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009 - 04:51:39 AM »
It's really great to have people here with experience, technical knowledge and the will to help. All of you have made valid points and it should be easy now, to get a spring relocation kit that solves my problem. I think i'll go for 2" - just to be safe.

Thanks again my friends - you guys are awesome!  :2thumbs:

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009 - 12:37:51 PM »
Dreamcruiser, I know what you feel - I have the same problem - can;t get parts in a nearby store, every part doubles its cost due to shipping and tahat fuc*** 22% VAT...
BTW how much have you paid for shipping of 4 compelte wheels to EU? Did you ship 4 separate parcels?
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009 - 06:48:31 PM »
Such a catchy post header. I have to keep looking at it.    DAAAAAMN