Author Topic: SCREW IT!!! I'm not selling the Chally~~Sell some guns, upgrade the motor  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Glennster

NEW game plan, SCREW IT, I'm not selling the Chally. Times are tough, cash is tight, but I need to keep the faith!!!!!!!!!
I'll sell one of my M1A's and one of my AR-15's, put a little cash in my pocket and upgrade the carburetor and exhaust system on the old Challenger.
BTW - I've got a 1970, 318 - Bone stock.......
Here's where I need some direction. I just scored a nice Edelbrock 2176 Intake, so I need to get a Carb. I hear that a 600CFM is the way to go, I like to keep it simple so I'll go with a manual choke.
WHICH carburetor should I get? Holley or Edelbrock? Does it really matter?

Next, Headers. I don't want something that's going to look like a rusty mess in a few months. What is a good quality header for the 318? Should I go with Stainless Steel?

Finally, Exhaust System and Mufflers. What do I do here????

I'm not trying to build a drag car, I just want a smooth running motor with a good sound.....
Thanks for your suggestions!!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Sell the AR-15 KEEP the M1A. I love them!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Glennster

I'll keep one M1A (w/ Scope), they are great! Four AR's is too many, I'll sell one................
Back to the thread!!!
Holley vs. Edelbrock  - does it matter?
Headers?
Pipes?
Mufflers?

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Great news! I am glad you are not selling it. I have only tried one Edelbrock and didnt have much luck with it. It always ran rich. It could be that my ignition was weak though but I have heard from others that they run rich. I have had better luck with Holley and really like the 750 vacuum secondary that I made with a proform main body.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
I hate Eddy carbs tough to adjust if it is even possible , I would run a 570 Holley street avenger or a 1850 600
 Headers there are only 3 to use TTi , Dougs or the Hooker 5115

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
in todays times now is the best time to sell your extra ARs I'm buiilding one in ca and prices are horrible or out of stock everywhere.

Offline Glennster

Chryco,
 Are any of those Stainless?
Which one look good long term?
Thanks for the input!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
for exhaust I'm looking at Pypes for most bang for the buck...Stainless with X-pipe for 303 at Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PYE%2DSME10V&N=700+401344+4294908110+4294908104+115&autoview=sku
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
TTi & Dougs are ceramic coated & will hold up well to deterioration

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
IMo, if you simply want sound, I'd use the Edelbrock 650 carb, and keep the manifolds. There is little sense in spending big coin for a result you don't need. Have a good dual system custom bent, use 2.5" pipe, and good mufflers, and you'll have an engine most people see as a 340, and a good sound without spending all the extra hundreds.

Offline Glennster

Great suggestion ! ! !
I was looking at some ceramic coated headers......a little over $300
I've actually got the original stock single exhaust on the car, I'll do as you suggest and run some dual pipes off the stock manifolds.
I'm going with some Flowmaster mufflers, should sound sweet for car that almost needs a slow moving vehicle sign!!!!
THANKS!!!!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Headers are always the single best thing you can do to improve performance, but it's up to you what's most important. The best carb known to man for your engine will not deliver the performance improvement a good exhaust with headers will, even cheap ones on a car with stock manifolds.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Glennster

Oh crap....
Now I'm second guessing myself..................
Headers help that much????

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Oh crap....
Now I'm second guessing myself..................
Headers help that much????

I would advise going that way if you had put a bigger cam in to go with a better carb. Headers might mean another 10% in horsepower gain. It's really up to you. With a 318, what do you want to accomplish? Stay stock and be a nice cruiser, or are you wanting to surprise people at red lights? From experience, headers are a pain. If you have no interest in boosting horse power, then don't go that way(towards headers).   :grinno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
I don't know about fitment but an article comparing exhaust manifolds & headers just changing to 360 manifolds, a low buck junkyard item, will gain power.  :2cents:

Here's the chart

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009 - 09:10:57 PM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!