Author Topic: Thoughts on alumin radiators?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Thoughts on alumin radiators?
« on: April 03, 2009 - 08:30:39 AM »
WHat do you guys think about aluminum radiators?

Found this vendor on ebay...$179 and the rads are supposed to be setup like stock but cool better....I have a 318 and I need a radiator....wanted to go 3 core, and looked at the local parts houses...all they carry are 2 core...

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Thoughts on alumin radiators?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009 - 08:59:34 AM »
My thoughts are that unless you live in a very hot climate, or your 318 is hopped up a lot, an aluminum 2 core rad will easily do the job.   :2cents:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009 - 09:53:25 AM »
I find they work well, but, few come with the ability to mount a shroud, and most will require something be done to get them installed. The cheaper they are, the worse they will drop in. If you dont need it, the factory ones are fine with less hassle.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009 - 10:21:24 AM »
Ok, makes sense.

I would *really* like to get a 3 core factory type.....seems like erring on the "too much cooling" side is always best.....

Any suggestions on finding one reasonable?   

Checked one local salvage yard that sells new and redone rads but they had no listing for my car....LOL  :swear:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009 - 11:51:14 AM »
I still prefer the brass rads over alum but reasonable price is long gone

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009 - 12:23:44 PM »
Not sure where you're at, but check the local parts store chains. I picked up a brand new, made in Mexico, 4 core, stock style radiator for my '73 dodge truck from Advanced Auto for about $250. Granted truck radiators were pretty much the same from 72 to 92, but there shouldbe other intercahgnes for E body radiators that would allow them to still be available.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009 - 12:39:36 PM »
I checked with autozon and advance auto -- neither could get me anything other than the 2 core..... :banghead:

I know that 3 core is probably overkill for my current 318 but planning ahead...LOL

WHat is the width on the stock one for a 1972?  I want it to just bolt in and use the stock shroud too.

Offline farmertan

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009 - 01:06:12 PM »
i checked rock auto and its 160.00 but not sure its a 3 core. find a discount code and could be cheaper.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009 - 01:31:52 PM »
I looked up the rock auto radiator on the "Reliance" website and they say its a two core...22".

However, it looks like A/C cars have 3 core rads.....and 26".

So would the AC rad work in my car even if it didnt have AC or is the core support and mounting different?

It DOES appear that the two rads have different sized inlets/outlets (bigger for AC rad).....

So I guess I need to measure the water pump and top water/thermostat neck sizes on the motor I have (a 76).....that would be the determining factor it looks like.......

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009 - 01:36:31 PM by shadango »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009 - 02:07:49 PM »
there was a member here a while ago who made alu rads...  just can`t remember his name...  :clueless:
*** Bart ***

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009 - 11:45:57 AM »
You can run a bigger radiator, but you en up drilling extra holes and the shrouds dont always fit really well. If you have a 2 core and the core is what's leaking, take it to a local radiator shop (look under heavy truck repair if you dont know of any) and have them re-core it using a 3 row core. It's usaully the same money as a new one, only the tanks are thicker. The new radiators' material is MUCH thinner than any factory ones were/are.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009 - 11:59:34 AM »
I dont have a rad yet...just looking for my best option....

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009 - 12:04:01 PM »
Ah. You can always buy a swap met 22" one and have that one re-done too. So long as it has good tanks.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009 - 01:02:12 PM »
Well, I can pickup a 2 core 22 incher at autozone for like $100....they do list the 3 core, but cant get em.

Going by the manual specs it looks like the 22 inchers didnt even have shrouds????

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009 - 11:26:42 PM »
Found a guy local to me who has (he thinks) a 26" 3 core rad....not an aluminum, a standard rad.

Seems to think I can run that by just making some shims and drilling a couple holes....he wants $150 for it....

I may go that route......I figure that if I dont like the way the shims etc look Ican go the "correct" route later.

He told me the core for the 22" rad is really only 18" to begin with....

Does $150 sound fair?

He also said that one side of the 26" will bolt into the stock location and then the other side (passenger) you shim....he said a stock 26" shroud will work fine.......is that correct?  Do I need to worry about having a shroud that is offset or anything like that?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009 - 06:52:01 AM by shadango »