Author Topic: Hammer and Dolly anyone?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Hammer and Dolly anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009 - 12:38:42 PM »
series deleted..?   I can still view them  :clueless:
*** Bart ***

Offline 1black71rt

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009 - 01:23:48 PM »
They played for me. Good info.
Joe
1971 triple black challenger r/t
1971 charger se
1997 dodge ram SST
2010 challenger r/t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009 - 02:03:32 PM »
Has anyone here ever gas welded on patches or quarters using a Cobra/Dillon/Henrob torch?  I've watched the guy at the Nationals, then he let me demo his torch. I was reaaly close to buying one for $350 but didn't. He says that body shop guys use them all of the time without any heat warpage due to the concetrated flame and low gas pressures. Can even weld potmetal, stainless and aluminum.  I learned to gas weld first but would never try it on my sheetmetal unless someone here can say that they use it.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009 - 03:22:50 PM »
never used that brand torch, but I used several other tiny torches for welding. I`m not skilled enough to use that on my car.. just too much heat input to get a nice weld. I`ve talked to a car restorer a few years back, and he said it`s the only way to keep the same hardness of the metal... using tig or mig always hardens the sheetmetal and makes it very difficult to straighten after welding. I guess he`s got a point there.
*** Bart ***

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009 - 10:23:52 AM »
As I said, I have never replaced sheetmetal with any other method besides flanging. ShelbyDogg, I too learned on a torch and am still a better gas welder than Mig. I would be very interested if some of the Professionals on here could chime in here and provide some pro's and con's between the Henrob torch and mig for sheetmetal welding. :feedback: Pleeease. :bigsmile:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [