Author Topic: Cant get new engine started  (Read 3658 times)

nivvy

Cant get new engine started
« on: April 05, 2009 - 11:14:02 AM »
Ive been working 7 days a week for a while and im tired as crap.. I feel like Im missing something small and my mind is not focused.... thoughts please..

Only electrical I did different was a 1 wire alt switch and removed the ballast resistor and voltage regulator and the harness itself...  :pullinghair:

I am going to check if my coil kicked out as is the only piece under the hood i never changed.... and helpful advice at this point would be appreciated... my mind is fried!  :eek7:

Where is MEK when you need him  :lol2:

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Cant get new engine started
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009 - 11:16:50 AM »
I sure don't have your answer (but someone here will!!) but I know how it is to have your brain fried to the point of overlooking the simplest thing!  :eek7: You'll get it done...   :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009 - 12:02:17 PM »
Since you are suffering from brain fry, we'd better start with a few simple things....    :roflsmiley:   

1) -- pull a spark plug, ground it, and see if it is sparking when someone tries to start it up.
  A) -- No spark.  Go back up the electrical stream and start checking things like coil, power to the coil, ignition box, etc...
  B) -- Spark.  Re-install spark plug and confirm fuel.

2) --  Check fuel pressure and confirm the pump is working.  Make sure there is fuel in the tank, don't laugh, it happens....    lol

3) -- If spark and fuel are good, confirm timing.  Dizzy pointed at #1 on compression stroke?  I have come across on more than one occasion where the person turned the engine until the #1 piston was at TDC -- BUT, it was at the end of the EXHAUST stroke.  Thus, the dizzy was 180* out.

Is the engine spitting back, popping, or anything like that, or just cranking over with nothing else?
When your brain gets back in proper working order, let us know what simple thing it was......      :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009 - 12:19:08 PM »
just cranking with nothing else.. im gonna get my battery check out... only showing 11 volts on the voltmeter with ont the key turned... not turned to crank.

nivvy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009 - 12:19:51 PM »
definatley getting fuel...

nivvy

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009 - 12:21:17 PM »
piston was at top of cylinder.... TDC when i put the heads on...... no baCKFIRE OR POPPING....

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009 - 01:08:07 PM »
Hey Stroker, if you have been cranking on it for a while with no response, AND you are getting fuel, It might be flooded with corresponding gas coated spark plugs.  It wouldn't hurt to remove the plugs, and clean 'em off.  Not sure how much you pumped the gas, but it also wouldn't hurt to make sure there isn't raw fuel in the cylinders. With the plugs removed, use some compressed air and blow into the spark plug hole to remove any excess fuel, if there is any.   :2cents: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009 - 01:22:46 PM »
Hey Stroker, if you have been cranking on it for a while with no response, AND you are getting fuel, It might be flooded with corresponding gas coated spark plugs.  It wouldn't hurt to remove the plugs, and clean 'em off.  Not sure how much you pumped the gas, but it also wouldn't hurt to make sure there isn't raw fuel in the cylinders. With the plugs removed, use some compressed air and blow into the spark plug hole to remove any excess fuel, if there is any.   :2cents:

I would also squirt a bit of oil in each hole. A motor (especially a NEW one) will not start without oil between the cylinder walls and rings. It will just crank over endlessly because it does not have enough compression.  :grinyes:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009 - 02:00:39 PM »
I went to autozone and they charged they battery and the tester said it was good... i tried staring again and all it did was crank with no fire... but this is the second time it happened when i was craking you could hear ther starter all of a sudden make a noise and then all power to the car went out???

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009 - 02:26:53 PM »
I haven't messed with the one wire alt. before, but when you turn the key to the "on" position, you should have around 8-9 volts on the "+" side of the coil.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009 - 02:41:39 PM »
Why did you remove the ballast resistor? That isn't part of the charging circuit. It wouldn't cause your problem here, unless you don't have a wire running to the "+" side of the coil now. 

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009 - 03:18:05 PM »
 Just wondering which top dead center. Pete

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009 - 05:32:31 PM »
Also just as been there situation...

Plenty of good ground?

I have had a good battery and lots of starting troubles with that in the past.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009 - 08:37:39 PM »
Wow Jason,
I know how frustrating this can be. You just want to shoot the darn car sometimes and just have to walk away. I really hope it's something simple and you find it easily. Are you running an MSD ignition system?? I had problems with a box I had that gave intermittent spark. Had to replace it!! :swear: :stomp: I hope I don't experience the same difficulties when I pull my motor as I will be trying also to put in an engine bay wiring harness. Good luck my friend!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009 - 08:44:41 PM »
I just got a call from Jason...

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!