Heading to Hawaii

Author Topic: Heading to Hawaii  (Read 1305 times)

Offline kmyles

Heading to Hawaii
« on: April 05, 2009 - 10:13:31 PM »
Heading to Kona on Friday! :bigshades: Anyone got any tip on what to do and where to go?? I'll see if I can bring back some sunshine for everyone. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009 - 11:02:21 PM by kmyles »
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
Re: Heading to Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009 - 10:16:03 PM »
I couldn't find the measurements for that glove box insert...next time I go to the car, I'll measure it and let you know. Have fun in Hawaii! :2thumbs:
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009 - 10:17:47 PM »
Heading to Kona on Friday! :bigshades: Anyone got any tip on what to do and where to go?? I'll see if I can bring back some sunshine for everyone.

Have fun!

Only been to Oahu and Maui so can't offer you anymore than that.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009 - 10:22:58 PM »
I'd settle for anywere on the islands.. send us some sun!!  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009 - 11:04:15 PM »
We spent Christmas there.  Check out our blog if you want at http://hawaiichristmas.blogspot.com/

Be sure to check out state Route 250 from Hawi to Waimea.  If the weather is good you get some exceptional views and cover about 4000 feet in elevation gain.  Take the Saddle road across to the wet side and Hilo at least once. On the way, be sure to drive at least up to the visitor center on Mauna Kea - up to the observatories at the summit if you can.  BTW, kids under 16 are not allowed up.

The active volcano Mauna Loa was a bust for us - poisonous gas closure, but can be good and worth the trip. 

The hike out to where the lava goes into the ocean is also spectacular and worth the walk.  Be sure to drive past the "entrance forbidden" "no trespassing" and "trespassers subject to arrest" signs on route 130 from the Hilo side.  What is really cool is that you get to drive over the lava that has flowed across the road.

we fell in love with the area around Waimea and Waikoloa...my wife wants to move there!

If you want more info, pm me.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009 - 11:37:30 PM by burnt orange »
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009 - 12:35:22 AM »
Definitely spring for a helicopter ride. If you cannot afford it an airplane ride around the island is not very expensive. Lots you can do on the cheap. Rent boogie board and kick back on the beaches. My wife and I had a blast taking surfing lessons. Might seem cheesy but a taking in a luau. We stayed right at Kailua Bay. We took one day scuba lessons when we were in Kauai and absolutely loved it. You cannot go deeper than like 45 foot but believe me thats plenty. We did a pretty long kayak adventure along the Kona coast and it was a blast too. There will be so much to do you will find yourself not wanting to be in the room wasting time asleep. It will not be hard to gravitate towards what interests you. I have been to Kauai, Maui and Hawaii so far and have listed them in order of personal preferance but any of them is much better than here. I think the thing that bugged me was although Kona is the best spot on the island, to me it was plagued with smoke from the volcano. The other side of the island is windy and the water is cloudy. This time of year there still may be snow on top of Mauna Kea. Was pretty weird to see that. I went in early Feb though so it might be melted now. Heck I have so many killer memories from Hawaii. Whale watching is cool, the dolphins are neat, snorkelling tours are fun, atv's. You will definitely have a blast. Take a camera and take a ton of pics for us please   :picture:
One last thing, if you have never been on a long flight, it was weird for me to be over the ocean for 6 hours straight.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline kmyles

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009 - 03:21:45 PM »
I head out in the morning :bananasmi
Thanks for all the input and I will try my best to bring back the warm weather for all of us. Pics to come.............

:wave: :cheers: :wave:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009 - 04:05:07 PM »
A must do in Kona. They have the best reefs out there.

http://www.seaquesthawaii.com/

Shopping there is close by is really good stuff to see. Have fun.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009 - 04:09:44 PM »
Have fun for sure kevin.  Maybe some day will get to do the same.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon