Author Topic: Chrome master cylinder cover and gasket?  (Read 640 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Chrome master cylinder cover and gasket?
« on: April 06, 2009 - 09:20:31 AM »
Need to replace the master cylinder cover and gasklet on my 72 fish....cant find one anywhere so far....figured I would go chrome while I was at it...

Any ideas for finding one?  If I could at least find a new gasket.....mine is leaking and I cant proceed with bleeding brakes and such til I get one...

Thanks!

Offline JH27N0B

Re: Chrome master cylinder cover and gasket?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009 - 11:25:10 AM »
I see people selling chrome plated master cylinder caps for early '70's Mopars on ebay fairly often.
I'm pretty sure Napa sells replacement filler cap diaphragms.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009 - 12:09:48 PM »
Here is the style I need....

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009 - 12:59:24 PM »
Here is a link to the Napa Online catalog.  One of these cap gaskets they sell would hopefully be correct for your cap.  They sell some chrome caps too, not sure if they'd be the right geometry for your car or not.
http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(m54hls45mth4mf55jzaw40n2))/Results.aspx?Ne=25000&N=32989

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009 - 01:05:58 PM »
Thanks....

Started at NAPA and ended up at Autozone.....$16.00 plus $5.00 core....a complete reman unit with bleeder stuff.....and a lifetime warranty.....Figured that was the best way to go......I wssnt sure about the current master cylinder anyways...for $16 I couldnt go wrong I dont think.  Had to order it...I gues I will also order the new firewall gaskets at Schumaker.....wonder if I could make these myself?

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009 - 01:19:19 PM »
For $16 you can't go too far wrong!!
Those firewall gaskets are just cheap foam.  I see guys selling them at swap meets for $5 or so, but if you have some Styrofoam sheets used as packing for shipping, I think you'd be fine using it to cut and trim a piece you can use instead.
For my PB cars, I haven't even bothered to use a gasket between my MC and booster the last few times I changed master cylinders, and it doesn't seem to matter.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009 - 01:56:00 PM »
HOLY MACKERAL!  That "styrofoam" idea you had is perfect!  Just so happens I have some of that stuff at home ...couldnt throw it away because I just knew I would sue it "someday".  LOL   My wife calls me a packrat....but hey, your idea and my being a packrat just saved me the cost of the gasket!  LOL