Author Topic: Most painless way to get more compression?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Re: Most painless way to get more compression?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009 - 10:13:03 PM »
Have you considered locating an older set of Closed chamber heads? This will quickly boost comp.

I have a set of the nail head closed chamber heads in my back yard. 516's I think they are? Anyway since I have milled the 906's .050 I have talked to a knowledgable guy and he says that any bump in compression would be minimal for the expense of getting the throats opened up, big valves and hard seats put in the 516's.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Most painless way to get more compression?
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009 - 01:17:55 AM »
I don't know that your motor is relegated to being slow with low compression. If I could get into the 12's with a less than 8 to 1 compression 318, then you should be able to do the same with a 406 (or whatever size it is) if you have a decent induction and exhaust. I would run the WOT timing up around 40*, or at least run a timing loop at the track to find out where it runs best. Don't ever "assume" you should set it where somebody else told you to set it or what you read in a magazine. If there's one thing I learned running a 383 with 906 heads it's that it likes lots of total advance because I guess of where the plugs are located in the combustion chambers, much the same as a 1st gen SBC. :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!