Author Topic: 440 Radiator problems  (Read 5526 times)

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

440 Radiator problems
« on: April 06, 2009 - 10:24:51 PM »
I have a 70 challenger that originaly came from the factory with a 318, i now have a 440 in it. It originally had a 22in radiator, big blocks used a 26 in, but they had different core supports to accomodate them, On a 65 degree day the engine will over heat in about 2 minutes if i am idleing, driving down the road at 65, it stays cool all the time, however i fear that once it warms up to 100 that the car will constantly be overheating. I know i need an aluminum radiator, probably some electric fans too, however i need something that isnt 1200 dollars like BeCool's set up. Where can i get a good aluminum radiator, with or without electric fans for a decent price
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline troutstreamnm

Re: 440 Radiator problems
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009 - 10:59:37 PM »
You might try Ron Davis radiators for a nice custom job that I thought were around $600-$800.  Mancini Racing has some inexpensive aluminum radiators, but I don't know anything about the quality.  I would stay away from Smith Radiators.  I bought a new Smith's that had a leak out of the box at a weld and they never responded to repeated emails, calls, faxes for warantee repairs.  Finally said Fu#*em and had it repaired myself.  :2cents:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009 - 12:38:01 AM »
Big blocks actually had 22" , a godd High efficiency 22" triple core should cool it with no issues
 if you decide to go alum stay away from cheaper epoxied rads , get a welded one

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009 - 07:33:39 AM »
A fan shroud will also definately help. I agree with the 22" three row rad if you go that way.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009 - 07:46:30 AM »
I would suggest that you may even consider making your 22" radiator in to a 4 core one :2thumbs: just make sure that the 4 core is an inline core and not staggered core, as staggered cores slow down air flow and do not work as effecient as an inline core :woo:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009 - 08:25:04 AM »
Big blocks actually had 22" , a godd High efficiency 22" triple core should cool it with no issues
 if you decide to go alum stay away from cheaper epoxied rads , get a welded one

Then what e-bodies came with the 26 inch, i see the 26 inch converstion pieces on ebay forsale all the time and the seller says its 4 big blocks?   Also i have been to a ton of junk yards looking for a 22 inch 3 or 4 core and cannot find an original chrysler one anywhere

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009 - 08:31:51 AM »
My 73 started as a 318 and I put a 440 in a couple years ago, and I have had no problems with overheating, and I'm in Dallas.  Just get a good 3 or 4 core radiator, use a shroud, and the viscous clutch fan, and you should be fine.  Also, always make sure your cooling system (hoses, t-stat, water pump) are up to snuff.

Offline Harts56

• 70 Challenger Convertible
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009 - 10:49:55 AM »
I live in the desert in Southern Ca. and had battled the same types of problems you have mentioned.  I got an aluminium Radiator on E-bay for about $200.00.  I also rigged a couple cooling fans and a back up, the fans were about $50- each.  Went another step and got a "high volume" water pump, pump with extra cooling fins welded in.  Be sure to check your T-stat, I ended up with a Milidon high flow.  Unless it is 100 plus and I am in heavy traffic all seems pretty good right now.  My next step is to replace the heater core...dosen't look like fun.

Good Luck!

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009 - 03:06:01 PM »

Then what e-bodies came with the 26 inch, i see the 26 inch converstion pieces on ebay forsale all the time and the seller says its 4 big blocks?   Also i have been to a ton of junk yards looking for a 22 inch 3 or 4 core and cannot find an original chrysler one anywhere
26" radiators came with cars that were optioned for them and it was a feature when a A/C was ordered with a car from both small block and big block. :2thumbs: And it was also part of a special cooling packege when ordered, called Max Cooled.................
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009 - 03:24:49 PM by hemiken »
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009 - 03:35:52 PM »
Another variable is the fan blade. There were 5,6, and even 7 blade fans. The more blades, the more airflow.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009 - 04:48:21 PM »
I would stay away from Smith Radiators.  I bought a new Smith's that had a leak out of the box at a weld and they never responded to repeated emails, calls, faxes for warantee repairs.  Finally said Fu#*em and had it repaired myself.  :2cents:
Sorry to hear that about Smith's radiator. Frankly, I am surprised. I bought a Smith's aluminum big block 26" radiator (about $600 bucks) that was a direct fit. They bent over backwards to accomodate me as I needed it asap. They seemed very professional and polite. The radiator fit perfect and looked awesome and unlike many, had the transmission cooler, drain valve and mounting ears (made to fit factory location). It also had 1 1/4" tubing whereas most others are only 1" tubing. Seemed to be very well made compared to some other companies. I guess you can never tell about folks sometimes. I know they are a small company so I'm surprised they didn't respond. I've never heard anything negative about them. This is the first. I would recontact them to see if they would reimburse you for the repairs!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009 - 04:55:13 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the info guys, my problem is most aluminum radiators i see are 26 inch. Ill do some looking into the companies taht you mentioned, also i need an offset fan shroud and cannot seem to find one anywhere. if i do get an aluminum one i will probably end up going with electric fans though

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009 - 05:16:06 PM »
On a 65 degree day the engine will over heat in about 2 minutes if i am idleing, driving down the road at 65, it stays cool all the time,

This statement tells me you should have adequate cooling. However, you have inadequate airflow. The addition of a shroud and a MP thermostatic clutch fan can go along way towards improving this. Also make sure that the fan is positioned properly within the shroud to get enough pull.

However, don't forget the basic stuff like having a good thermostat and a spring in the lower radiator hose to prevent collapse. Also important is a good pressure cap and the proper mix of fluid. Have your cap checked at a local radiator shop. A weak or inoperative spring in the cap can lead to overheating.

Also, do you have underdrive pulleys on the engine? These slow down the movement of fluid enough to not provide good thermal transfer. Going back to stock sized pulleys is a good way to test this out.

There are a number of less expensive ways to fix this before dumping a grand into a custom radiator and shroud and half that amount again into electric fans.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009 - 05:21:41 PM by HP2 »

Offline darkhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009 - 05:16:56 PM »
I haven't done this myself as my car is not that far along, but I'm going to go with a 26" rad(have one already) and it will be modified to be a 4 core rad by the local shop and I'll be using the factory shroud.  I've been told that will keep me from having any cooling problems.  I may also add a high flow water pump. 

Like I said no first hand experience just what I've found out.
Nigel
73 Cuda
65 Valiant Convertible
04 Dakota

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009 - 10:53:27 PM »
[Sorry to hear that about Smith's radiator. Frankly, I am surprised. I bought a Smith's aluminum big block 26" radiator (about $600 bucks) that was a direct fit. They bent over backwards to accomodate me as I needed it asap. They seemed very professional and polite. The radiator fit perfect and looked awesome and unlike many, had the transmission cooler, drain valve and mounting ears (made to fit factory location). It also had 1 1/4" tubing whereas most others are only 1" tubing. Seemed to be very well made compared to some other companies. I guess you can never tell about folks sometimes. I know they are a small company so I'm surprised they didn't respond. I've never heard anything negative about them. This is the first. I would recontact them to see if they would reimburse you for the repairs!!/]

The radiator itself is nice and now that the leak is fixed, it performs very well, it was just the customer service that was non-existant.  I did finally get the guy on the phone and he apologized and offered to reimburse me for the repair cost.  Lip service only, it's been two months now and no check so my opinion of them is still the same  :nono:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009 - 10:59:12 PM by troutstreamnm »
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500