Line Lock, Explain.....

Author Topic: Line Lock, Explain.....  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Line Lock, Explain.....
« on: June 24, 2004 - 02:15:33 AM »

I saw BIG MIKE talking about this in the Burnout section and it got me thinking. It sounds great for burnouts and launches.........

How do they work and where do they go exactly?
Can I put one in my Challenger, I know you need a button which is no problem, I could install one secretly in or around the console.

This is my understanding........

Line Lock:

Can be used to lock brakes instead of using foot brake, or you hold foot brake then push line lock button then release the foot brake and the line lock holds it in place?  ???
What would happen if you were drving with your foot on the gas and you hit the line lock button by mistake would you lock up?

Orrrrrrrr do you have to engage foot brake first before the line lock can be engaged?

Sounds quite good, hold the car for better launches.......better burnouts with less brake wear.....

Hope someone can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks,
Carl  ;)

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Line Lock, Explain.....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004 - 02:46:02 AM »
Lineloc is awesome on the track

First, stomp on the brakes hard
second, flip the toggle
third, take your foot off the brake and stomp on the gas
forth, shift into second gear and become engulfed in pure white smoke

When ready flip the toggle off and slowly walk out of the burnout box at about 4000 RPM

Feel the hot sticky rubber grab the track with a thump and let off the gas
Put the car back into 1st and wham the gas for .001 seconds for a G-force feeling that's better
then s@x and just as short....................
pull up to the line, load the converter up and your gone just before the light turns green

all the lineloc does is put a electrical solenoid valve on the brake line between the master cylinder
and the front brakes.
when it's off the brakes work normally but when you turn it on it holds the brake pressure on the
front brakes only

Not to good for the street because if you leave it on the brakes will act violently, also the solenoid
valve heats up very fast and could melt wires, cause a fire ect.

Seems to me a better racing piece of equipment on the street  would be a throttle stop.
You could set it to open at the right time and eliminate traction problems at the stoplight
sort of a poor mans traction control.

I know this guy who put a lineloc on all four of his brakes to launch his car at the track as sort of a
transbrake device but it didn't work. The mopar power just broke the rear tires loose anyway

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004 - 08:10:35 AM »
What I did with my lin liock set is run the wire to a toggle switch (for a cut off) then the wire to my B&M T handle with the button....That way you have to activate the toggle switch to be able to use the button on the t handle to activate the line lock....of coure some line lock come with a indicator light....which i have wired into the toggle to ell me when its on...then just use the button on the t handle////////

simple and no problems......

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004 - 09:57:20 PM »

Thanks 360, some good info.......How expensive is a trans brake? And what are the pros and cons? How can I use it?

Also, I'm not liking the sounds of could catch on fire!?!?! Don't want to put anything thats risky like heating problems etc when it's not a major or needed mod.  ;D

Thanks for your input nivvy.  ;)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004 - 02:22:15 AM »
Trans brake is just for racing

We messed around with one on an old stock eliminator car we had lying around and it was good for
3 tenths in the quarter mile but it was pricey and very illlegal in that class

Basicly the advantage is it holds the car on the line to where you can rev the motor in gear to past
five grand with your foot lightly on the brake.. flip the switch and the car leaves like bat out of he!!

1.55 60 foot time in a 12 second car
That hauling the mail in a stock 360 with an iron intake and a thermoquad

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004 - 03:44:52 AM »

Sheesh that sounds like a great launch.  :D 8)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004 - 06:57:56 AM »
Line locks are fine for street use but they should use a momemtary switch(one you have to hold down) instead of a toggle switch to prevent them from being left on.As was expalined it is a soleniod plumbed into the brake system to keep pressure on the front brakes while releasing pressure to the rear so burnouts are easy without burning up your rear brakes.Fairly simple to install,Hurst or TCI make them,just follow directions.I have my switch on a custom made top plate for my Pistol Grip shifter.Just be carefull where you do them as they could get you a ticket(don`t ask me how I know).  ;D
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004 - 10:43:02 PM »
I always thought it would be cool to put a lineloc on one front wheel

Talk about perfect dounut burnouts 8)

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004 - 10:11:53 PM »
If you plan on taking it to your dragstrip, may want to check their rulebook first as to where the location of the solenoid valve is to be.  I believe for NHRA tracks it is supposed to be after the proportioning valve-someone correct if I am wrong- .  But you wouldn't want to go thru the work of installing it only to fail tech inspection.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline BIG MIKE

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004 - 05:02:17 AM »
I always thought it would be cool to put a lineloc on one front wheel

they have one  ;D the E-brake. they are still in the rear brake system....so pull/push the brake on then hit the gas. i wouldn't do it that much cause the CV joint(axles) that pulls the car...all it really is, is steal balls in a cage with a spined center... long story short it can/well hurt them in time.