Author Topic: lifters  (Read 2638 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: lifters
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009 - 03:20:18 PM »
Glad you were able to sort it out!
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

moparniac

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009 - 09:45:41 AM »
I would use some 5/16 pushrods.....  :working:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009 - 06:49:10 PM »
Set the valves to zero lash and still had the knocking.  Put the stock valve train back on and and the knocking is gone.  I did have a tapping sound in the motor, for about 20 seconds, when I shut it off though.  I think it was a lifter bleeding down.  I'll just keep the stock train in until I can clearance the heads or maybe try some 1.5 rollers which would push the rods out a little but I'll still probably need to clearance the heads.  Thanks for all the responses.  Appreciated.

I have a few ideas.. On trying to compress a lifter when full of oil... Trying to do this by hand will not work. If you use a vise with jaw protectors or a C clamp, you will note oil coming out of the hole and it will compress slowly. Thye are not simply a oil supported plunger. They are engineered to not bleed down really easily. Anti pump up, or variable duration lifters take that to another level. Those two thend to be a little more noisey. Noise in hydraulics can be for different reasons. You say you set the lash to 0. The deal with hydraulics is they need preload, not "lash". Lash is air spaec in the valve train. Preload is the amount of travel in the plunger of the lifter you create by the rocker adjustments. I didn't read where you experimented iwht more of less preload... But the spec I use is .030" to figure pushrod length, and for most rockers, that's somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4s of a turn past "0" preload. Also, if you use 3/8 pushrods then they also offer less pushrod clearance in the stock holes. Add the pushrod cup position as you noted of the 1.7s, and they may be hitting the heads at full lift or close. The 1.5 rockers are all the same pushrod postition. So if the stock hydraulic stuff is quiet, the roller types of the same ratio will work fine too.

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009 - 12:27:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.  The pushrods (3/8) were definitely hitting as evidenced by shiny portion of the rods where they went thru the heads.  I like the rollers but think I may go to 1.5s and the 5/16 pushrods.  I'll probably just stay with the stock rockers for now.  I'm not trying to shave tenths off for the track.  I just put the 1.7s on because I wanted to go to roller rockers and they were a good deal.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other