Author Topic: Daily Driver Insurance?  (Read 937 times)

goldengladiator

Daily Driver Insurance?
« on: April 09, 2009 - 06:15:03 PM »
Here is my question... My Challenger isn't a daily driver, but it would be close. Right now I have Hagerty, so I try to avoid driving it as much as I want to. Does anyone know a good insurance company that would allow my to insurance my car at book value as a "second car" rather than a collector's car? I will probably call my regular insurer tomorrow, but I don't think they deal in anything older than 1980ish.

Basically, I don't drive it to and from class/school, normally. But I will gladly drive it Friday, Saturday and Sunday around town... including shopping and the gym.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Daily Driver Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009 - 07:20:25 PM »
I think the problem here is the classic car insurance people don't want your classic to be a back-up car. In other words, if your daily driver dies, then you walk or take a cab.   :lol:  For what you want to do, I'm sure your regular insurance company will help you, but it will cost much more than classic car insurance.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

goldengladiator

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009 - 07:36:10 PM »
Yeah, that's what I figured. I will talk to my insurance agent tomorrow. I just don't see the point in having a car that I don't drive... Especially not one this fun.

Offline gkring

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009 - 09:53:30 PM »
I have mine through Hagerty. They don't care too much about the mileage as long as you have a primary car. the rub comes in that the car either has to be in a locked garage or never leave your sight. Go to the movies and come out to find the car stolen or vandalized and you would be out of luck. I would still go with the collector insurance unless you have a very, very good relationship with your insurance agent.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

goldengladiator

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009 - 10:17:16 PM »
Well, that's the problem. If I can't use my car, I might as well sell it and get something I can insure AND use. It spends the night in a locked garage but I use it to do things like... go out to dinner, visit friends, see a movie...

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009 - 05:19:46 AM »
I don't see how Hagerty could refuse a claim if you leave the car parked in a lot, let's say at the movie theater, and came back to it being keyed by some a$$*(@).  The reason I bring this up is because one of my friends pretty much had that same scenario several years back with his '66 Ford pickup, but it was parked at Wal-Mart for about twenty to thirty minutes while he bought some things.  At the time, he was using it as his full-time driver and I believe it was still under a collector car insurance, IIRC.

Needless to say, he ended up getting a video from Wal-Mart's security center (after fighting to get it from them) that showed some little bastard keying both sides of it while he walked back to his POS.  The insurance company paid out well for the paint repairs and I believe his premium stayed locked at what he was paying prior to this incident.  Good luck man!
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

goldengladiator

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009 - 02:12:58 PM »
If anyone is following this post: I am going through my regular provider. I am paying for an agreed upon value, based on the NADA value. They just ask that you have documented evidence of the vehicle, things like pictures and receipts, appraisal, etc. That way, they will pay for the vehicle if there is damage. This way I can register it as a regular daily driver and still be protected.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009 - 03:28:20 PM »
and if have a total loss the appraisel will mean nothing.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

goldengladiator

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009 - 04:48:39 PM »
That's now what my insurance agent said. I'm paying for an agreed upon value. I just have to have proof of that value. It wouldn't matter anyways, because I was technically not covered by collector's car insurance half of the time I drive it. I actually drive my car... so I need real insurance, somehow. Not just insurance for driving it to and from events... Because I don't go to them.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009 - 05:24:55 PM »
no regular insurer sells agreed upon value cover, i bet you have stated value.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009 - 10:26:12 AM »
I was talking to my regular insurance company about this the other day.  I was told for the time you do take your car off the road to decrease all the optional parts of the insurance so you have "bare bones" insurance that'll cover your car, like if a tree falls on it if it's parked in the garage, etc... just keep the comprehensive and get rid of the collision (I think that's what I'm trying to say, not sure of the terms...   :bricks1: )
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger