Author Topic: New motor was running good........  (Read 983 times)

Offline Daves74chally

• "Yea.... I need another new pair of tires"
New motor was running good........
« on: April 10, 2009 - 07:55:32 PM »
For those who know what I have,  build a 414 stroker out of my 360.  First off it has had alot of running time on it that consists of a few dyno runs and about 250 miles on it. Well i guess not that much. Was driving around yesterday and at idle she started to missfire badly so i limped it into a school parking lot where i was checking around for a reason, turned it on, was still doing it. I turned it off again looked around then fired her back up and no misfire  :clueless:. Now today I went to the store, about 4 mile drive. On my way back i got a lil tick at idle while at a stop light, when I started moving the tick went away. got back home and in the drive way it got a lil louder, so I parked it. Was waxing her later awhile ago so I went to go back it into my garage to get the back of the car. The noise went from a click to a loud clack quickly. Its not missfiring either. I pulled the valve covers off to inspect a lil and found nothing. I was hoping to get a lil guidance from you guys, I dont understand this at all. :1zhelp:
1974 Dodge Challenger 414 stroker, 727 trans, 8 3/4 posi [OO/`````\OO]

Buffalo, NY

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: New motor was running good........
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009 - 08:11:40 PM »
What type of cam setup do you have?? Flat tappet cam with hydraulic lifters?? It might be a hydraulic lifter not pumping up. I've had that happen before and had to replace a single lifter. It wasn't a problem after I replaced it. Hope it's simple.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009 - 08:17:24 PM »
I had one of the rocker shaft bolts break once, it was the end bolt. My motor was running rough to at idle but smooth out once the rpms were over 2000. So after swapping carbs and checking for loose plug wires I go guessing the intake gasket went bad and was leaking. Got the intake off and all ports look good, same with the gasket.

Did a compression check then and one cylinder was low, so I take a light right by there and then I seen the rocker shaft slightly bent up but when cranking it really moved up.

Got the broken bolt out with an easy out and went with Hughes rocker stud kit, $85 just for the studs and billet hold downs but since I didn't have to pull the head off I was happy.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009 - 08:25:26 PM »
If it is a clacking noise as you mentioned, have someone crank the engine over while you watch the valvetrain on the head you suspect the noise to be coming from. Hopefully it will be apparent.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Daves74chally

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009 - 09:13:17 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I wish I could get a hand, my family is away for easter, im all by myself. So i may call up a buddy tonite and see if he want to give me a hand, and he also has my roll cab on his trailer still. I hope it is this simple, Last thing I want is to start tearing down the engine. 

Buffalo, NY

Offline Daves74chally

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009 - 11:06:40 PM »
How loud can a bad lifter be, because this is loud. Maybe I can get a sound clip tmw, I dont know how much that can help. Any other idea of what it could be?

Buffalo, NY

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009 - 08:27:16 AM »
First, stop driving and running it. You can and will do a lot more damage trying to find it "the easy way". It sounds like cam or valvetrain. So you've pulled the valve covers... Leave the rockers and pushrods in place. Pull the intake off and look very carefully. You can turn it over BY HAND, but dont run it any more until you can see the entire system. Also pull each spark plug and carefully inspect it and keep them in order. If everything looks good, get your hands on a leak down tester and test it. Diagnose with eyes and head, not ear, unless you want to tear it all down again.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009 - 08:31:29 AM »
First, stop driving and running it. You can and will do a lot more damage trying to find it "the easy way". It sounds like cam or valvetrain. So you've pulled the valve covers... Leave the rockers and pushrods in place. Pull the intake off and look very carefully. You can turn it over BY HAND, but dont run it any more until you can see the entire system. Also pull each spark plug and carefully inspect it and keep them in order. If everything looks good, get your hands on a leak down tester and test it. Diagnose with eyes and head, not ear, unless you want to tear it all down again.

I agree

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:11:19 AM »
If it's that loud are you sure it's in the top end and not the bottom end? Could be a spun bearing!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline LAA66

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:36:24 AM »
 Mine broke a valve spring and has similar characteristics. I checked the plugs, found the bad cylinder which lead me to the broken spring. :2cents:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:42:01 AM »
Dont know about misfires, but I have had some issues with ticking...

1. Bad Header/Exh Manifold gasket

2. Factory rockers out of order eg. the L where the R goes and the R where the L goes (Left/Right)

3. Lifters...  but that is just more of a chatter ect.

I would start simple and go from there.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009 - 09:29:19 PM »
you could have lost a lobe on the cam , turn it over & make sure all the valves are opening , you can pull the lifters with a magnet without removing the intake  to inspect them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t