Author Topic: Flex Fan Question  (Read 1382 times)

Offline 2000gt

Flex Fan Question
« on: April 11, 2009 - 12:08:48 AM »
Hey guys, the 440 cuda I bought this winter runs way to hot for my liking and only has a small cheap electric fan on it now with no shroud.  I got a factory shroud for the car and want to buy a flex fan.  What should I use and where should I order it from?  I see Summit has a factory style clutch fan (DC-4120758) , is this what I should be after?  Not sure what style or bolt pattern I shol dbe after so any help would be appreciated.

Offline Changin Gears

Re: Flex Fan Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009 - 08:05:08 AM »
You want the clutch fan, it works better.  The ones that are temperature controlled (have the "clock spring" on the front) are the best.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009 - 09:29:21 AM »
You should be able to pick one up at O-reillys, NAPA, etc, for about $50-$60.  Just ask for a Mopar big block viscous fan.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:12:25 AM »
You want the clutch fan, it works better.  The ones that are temperature controlled (have the "clock spring" on the front) are the best.

I don't doubt your knowledge CG i am under the same impression.  :worshippy   Just curious why the original clutch type is better then a flex. 

I just bought a 2863216 18-1/2" on ebay and the seller said my flex fan is better. It is quite a bit lighter then the original as one aspect. :dunno: 

Offline farmertan

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:18:43 AM »
The flex fan goes flat at higher rpm,the clutch fan comes on when its hot and stays on til the engine is cool. The small horsepower gain w/the flex is not enough to worry about.Consider following a semi on the highway at 70mph the flex fan isnt pulling air and not enough is being pushed through the radiator.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:20:03 AM »
I have a nephew that's missing an eye and has a nasty scar across his face because of a flex fan coming apart! Reason enough for me to not ever use one! :nono:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:33:47 AM »
I don't doubt your knowledge CG i am under the same impression.  :worshippy   Just curious why the original clutch type is better then a flex. 

I just bought a 2863216 18-1/2" on ebay and the seller said my flex fan is better. It is quite a bit lighter then the original as one aspect. :dunno:

Like farmertan said, a flex fan goes flat at higher RPM, just when the engine is producing the most heat. 

Flex fans are quite a bit cheaper than the clutch ones, yet Chrylser has used the clutch ones forever.

I have a nephew that's missing an eye and has a nasty scar across his face because of a flex fan coming apart! Reason enough for me to not ever use one! :nono:

Sorry to here that, this is why you never stand inline with the belts/fan while someone is reving the engine.  I've seen pictures of a flex fan blade poking through a hood.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline LAA66

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009 - 11:53:44 AM »
 That's enough reason for me. Thanks

Offline acudanut

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009 - 01:11:59 PM »
The flex fan goes flat at higher rpm,the clutch fan comes on when its hot and stays on til the engine is cool. The small horsepower gain w/the flex is not enough to worry about.Consider following a semi on the highway at 70mph the flex fan isnt pulling air and not enough is being pushed through the radiator.
True and your clutch fan won't work your water pump as hard, which leads to water pump failure and Bang..your flex fan just ate your radiator.  Go with a clutch fan period.

Offline 2000gt

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009 - 01:36:40 PM »
So it sounds like a clutch fan  (or viscous fan same thing right)  is the way to go.  Any local parts store should be able to get one or should I order the one I listed above from Summit?  Thanks, Tyler

Offline acudanut

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009 - 02:29:10 PM »
 Yes, same thing. viscous fan is a clutch fan. :grinno:

Offline gkring

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009 - 08:02:16 PM »
Triple ditto for the mopar fan kit. I bought mine through Summit. You may find a cheaper deal from a different place or different brand, but at their pricing and being a factory kit it just can't be beat.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline LAA66

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009 - 09:48:38 PM »
 The 340 HD cooling system is the same as a big block in regards to the clutch fan unit correct? :dunno:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009 - 09:54:11 PM »
Didnt know they would let go like that but I have never been a "fan" of the flex-fans either.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline acudanut

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009 - 10:09:29 PM »
The 340 HD cooling system is the same as a big block in regards to the clutch fan unit correct? :dunno:
Yes, they are all the same.