Author Topic: Are these "B-Body" springs?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Are these "B-Body" springs?
« on: April 11, 2009 - 12:58:17 PM »
Trying to get rid of my Mopar performance cheap metal XHD new leaf springs. A friend of mine wants to sell me his used springs from he says a 69 Road Runner.  It has an extra spring compared to mine.   I put them on last weekend and now my car sits 1" higher than I want it to so I 'm changing them back out right now to mix and match leafs till I get it where I want it.

Now the question: His rear segments (bolt to rear eye) measure close to 36" and my E-body springs measure around 35". His leafs on my car are hitting my rear bumper guard bolts, limiting any downward movement. Anyone know of a link that shows measurements of front and rear segments of the different body springs?  Looking on google leads me to many SS spring dealers.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: Are these "B-Body" springs?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009 - 05:57:23 PM »
If I remember right, the E body springs are 1" shorter than the B body springs. Both had a 22" front section, unless you have SS spring, which had a 20" front section and require the 2" longer front spring hanger. You might try swapping out the main leaf from the E body springs onto the B body springs.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009 - 01:53:55 AM »
Mopar Performance lists their springs for B/E combined, so I was wondering if my friend was wrong about the body it came off of.  I went ahead and took my 2 e-body sets apart and added the second leaf to my 1st set. Car still sits about 1" too high but the ride is better. Maybe doubling the 3rd leaf instead will get it where I want it.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009 - 06:12:02 AM »
According to my DC book:

E body - f 22", r 35
66-73 b body - f 22", r 36"

Super Stocks - f 20", r 36"

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline ja20

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009 - 08:09:40 AM »
Hey just a question??  Why would you change out the XHD springs. I've them in my cars. The ride height is good and the ride feels great.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009 - 11:51:21 AM »
According to my DC book:

E body - f 22", r 35
66-73 b body - f 22", r 36"

Super Stocks - f 20", r 36"

That's what I thought, the B body springs were 1" longer. Mopar probably went with the 36" rear section on the SS springs for both bodies for convenience. I don't have any problems with the rear shackle hitting anything on my SS springs, but the SS springs still retain quite a bit of arch with the car sitting on them as opposed to the stock springs, which sit pretty much flat.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009 - 12:21:12 AM »

Thanks for the info Changin Gears. That's what I thought, but too busy to pull out the books. 

Hey just a question??  Why would you change out the XHD springs. I've them in my cars. The ride height is good and the ride feels great.

The ride was good but the springs were starting to bend backwards at the front eye. very cheap steel or not hardened correctly. I'll upload some pics.

Here are my Cheap MP XHD Springs- Bent Backwards

Left one

Right One isn't so bad because the second spring is closer to the eye. But if the left one is cheap metal, the right one will be too.

Side view--TOO LOW

Got some B-body springs, friend said "same length". I found out 1" too long.  Here spring and rear shackle is bottomed out on bumper guard.
CAR SITS TOO HIGH.

Pulled my 2nd leaf out of a set of old E-Body springs and installed them on another old set, right below the second spring.

Now cars sits level where I like it.
Here it is without any air in the shocks.

After swapping the springs out twice over 2 weekends, I think I'll paint them later.
These wheels are 15x10 with a 295-50 tire for sizing in the pics.
I'll never tell anyone to buy these springs except for the guy that buys them from me. :bigsmile

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009 - 12:23:58 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009 - 01:11:15 PM »
Mopar Performance lists their springs for B/E combined, so I was wondering if my friend was wrong about the body it came off of.

Yeah, I think this was an editing error and/or lack of proofing on someone's part. Older catalogs as well as the Chasssis book identify the correct part number differences between the B and E bodies as they are, as you found out, different.

Your pictures are quite suprising though. I've put XHD springs under several of my cars as well as my brothers and all of them had the second leaf right up under the centerline of the spring eye. I've never had any issues with them bending backwards like you've shown, although the zero arch oval track springs look a lot like that. Maybe you could Ebay them that way and make more $$ of them.

Offline resq302

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009 - 04:01:39 PM »
My XHD Mopar Perf. springs on my charger are the same way.  I've heard the same thing that the MP ones are made of cheap metal made in China or Mexico.  Eventually I will replace mine.