Author Topic: Steering Shaft Problem  (Read 526 times)

Offline cwestra

Steering Shaft Problem
« on: April 11, 2009 - 01:28:17 PM »
I try not to get into situations like this but it looks like I did.  In taking the steering column apart for cleaning and painting, I cannot figure out how the clip (hanging on the shaft in picture below) lines back up.  I took pictures of the disassembly but did not capture this part of it, unfortunately.  I have tried looking at the mating components to see if there is only one logical way for it to go, but it does not appear there is, at least it is not obvious.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Steering Shaft Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009 - 07:52:28 PM »
it is hard to explain but it sits over the inner shaft & the spring washer sits under the lower outer housing pressing against that washer to keep pressure between the inner shaft & lower housing 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cwestra

Re: Steering Shaft Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009 - 09:04:20 PM »
It appears that the wave spring and the small stamped ring would rotate freely about the front section, as you indicate.  It is the notches in the stamped ring that have me concerned.  They must be there for a reason and I want to be sure I dont screw things up not orienting it correctly.  Even though this his a 4-spd, is it, perhaps, used when column shift set-up is there?
Corey - in Northern Indiana