Author Topic: Tie Rod Hitting Torsion Bar  (Read 1831 times)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Tie Rod Hitting Torsion Bar
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009 - 02:02:33 AM »
It's pretty easy to check the bump-steer.
1) Make a legible mark on each tire in the front where you can span a tape measure to check the distance.
2) Lower the front end using the torsion bar bolts as far as it will go.
3) Measure the distance between the marks.
4) Roll the car forward until you can measure it behind to the same marks.
This will give you your toe setting.
5) Now raise the car until the tires are almost off the ground with a floor jack under the K-frame.
6) Measure to the same marks again.
7) Pull it forward and measure again.
This sequence of measurements will tell you how much bump steer you have. You can alter the steering box angle and/or idler arm angle (by slotting the hole that the mounting bolt goes in) to try to minimise it. When you get it right where you have no or at least minimal toe change by changing the front end height weld a washer over the hole to maintain the location of the idler arm. You'll know that this is way off if the car steers itself when you go over dips in the road after it's aligned. Most all of them can use a little ajustment. I altered my old '68 Cuda by about 1/8" on the idler arm angle to make it almost perfect.  :2thumbs:   
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009 - 01:58:54 PM »
Looks like a fast ratio pitman with a standard ratio idler. Not a huge deal, the factory did this on AAR and TAs, but it would require changing the pitman to a standard ratio or the idler to a fast ratio to even out the center link.

I've heard rumor that C bodies used a longer idler, hence an inexpensive way to go "fast ratio". There also are fast ratio idler arms out there as well.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009 - 06:32:21 PM »
Looks like a fast ratio pitman with a standard ratio idler. Not a huge deal, the factory did this on AAR and TAs, but it would require changing the pitman to a standard ratio or the idler to a fast ratio to even out the center link.

I've heard rumor that C bodies used a longer idler, hence an inexpensive way to go "fast ratio". There also are fast ratio idler arms out there as well.
You mean that all AAR's and T/A's came this way?  I assume the "fast ratio" idler came into being after the production of these vehicles, otherwise they would have installed them in place of the standard.  Interesting.  Thanks for the insight.  My main objective is to keep with original configuration.
Corey - in Northern Indiana