Author Topic: AMD roof skin and drip edge install results  (Read 1804 times)

Offline femtnmax

AMD roof skin and drip edge install results
« on: April 12, 2009 - 03:17:46 PM »
Body shop did the install.  Windshield and rear glass were installed to check fit prior to welding.  No real issues.   New AMD drip edges had correct shape.  AMD roof skin was very nice, had correct contours everywhere.
Fit of AMD roof skin to AMD drivers rear quarter panel no issues.  No issues fitting roof skin to Goodmark right rear quarter panel either.   See pics.
Phil

Offline cudadude013

• Friday at the Lake
Re: AMD roof skin and drip edge install results
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009 - 08:33:22 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics.
I will be buying the AMD drip rails to redo my driver side drip rail soon, so I'm glad to hear it was a good fit.
Any other pics of the rails your shop did?

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009 - 08:53:11 PM »
Any other pics of the rails your shop did?

Here's the only other pics I have.  Let me know if you need more.  I can stop by the shop and take more.
I believe the shop fastened the drip edge to the under structure with sheet metal screws after initial fit up of roof skin and drip edges.  Then welded drip edges to structure, then roof skin to drip edges.
When I called in the order, AMD said to be sure to have drip edge/roof skin mating surface real flat prior to welding.  They shine a light on the weld surface to verify surface smoothness for best fit prior to welding.   For mig welding, they suggested punched holes (not drilled) only thru the drip edge, then weld from below, so from above there are no welds to grind.  The body shop welded mine from above, still looks ok for my 'daily driver'.
Phil

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

• Coupe Custom Accessories
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009 - 01:46:14 PM »
You don't live in california do you. I need this done to mine and can not find any recommended shops.
GREAT WORK MAN!!  :thumbsup: :worshippy

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009 - 01:58:27 PM »
Awesome work dude!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009 - 07:06:27 PM »
You don't live in california do you. I need this done to mine and can not find any recommended shops.
GREAT WORK MAN!!  :thumbsup: :worshippy
The body shop is doing a slow methodical job.  I have been pleased with all their work so far.  I am able to work on the car doing POR coatings on substructure, etc. as they do their part.   The shop is not in CA, they are RC Auto Body in Big Timber Montana if anyone is interested.   
Phil

Offline tparker

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012 - 10:49:07 PM »
Hi,
I have my AMD roof ready to go on but I am not liking the way the drip rails are lining up and would love to see the above pics before I start welding. Are these pics still available?

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012 - 11:08:33 PM »
Hi,
I have my AMD roof ready to go on but I am not liking the way the drip rails are lining up and would love to see the above pics before I start welding. Are these pics still available?

you need alot of small C clamps to align eveything. One member glued his on this way.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline tparker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012 - 11:41:16 PM »
Thanks. The problem is the drip rails are flat, roughly comming out about 90 degrees, But the roof has a flange that should sit on top of the rails. Unfortunatly they are at diffrent angles. I guess the clamps will bend the roof to the same angle as the drip rails. Hopefully not the other way around. LOL. Just wondering if this is normal or if Im doing something wrong.