Author Topic: trying to flush and bleed brake lines....but.....  (Read 1023 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
trying to flush and bleed brake lines....but.....
« on: April 14, 2009 - 02:08:20 AM »
Have been fighting the brakes on the 72 fish for a few days now....

I have a shop air activated one man bleeder unit and all I get is a trickle from the back brakes, even when I have the master cylinder (which turns out was was bad) out....hooked up a hose to the rear and then front brake line (where it would connectt o the master cylinder) and then that hose went into a container of brake fluid....  I get NOTHING from the front brakes.....I removed the bleeder screws and made sure they are clear...

The front hoses have some splits in the outer sheaths (but ni visible leakage) so I am going to replace all 3 hoses on the car (drum/manual brakes).....hoping maybe the hoses are collapsed inside....but all 3 at once? Is that possible?

The car only has the brake line switch block...no proportioning valve I can find.....pretty simple system so the hoses are all I can figure at this point....

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks guys

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: trying to flush and bleed brake lines....but.....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009 - 02:10:57 AM »
I would start at the master , open a line at the splitter block & keep going until you find the blockage , my bet is the splitter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009 - 05:08:26 AM »
Well, I am putting on a new master cylinder....it is all bench-bled and ready to go.....all that is left is replacing the hoses (since they are split anyways) and getting fluid to flow well....

Didnt want to tinker with the splitter block but I guess that is all that would be left, eh?

May try and replace the hoses first and see what happens......

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009 - 12:12:24 PM »
well change to hoses first  , if they are cracked you will have to change them anyway

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009 - 01:16:13 PM »
Anything particularly hard about removing/reinstalling the splitter block?

Hiw do you blead that once you reinstall or just bleed thru lines as normal?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009 - 01:19:43 PM »
no just blled ot through as normal

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009 - 04:34:41 PM »
Cool....thanks for the advice.

I ordered new hosees thru Rock Auto....could have saved about $20 by going with their cheapest ones but decided to get the raybestos....$80 total with the 5% discount coupon I found online, with shipping.

I figured since I dont know when I will convert to disks I would get the better hoses.....brakes are sort of important....LOL

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009 - 02:25:37 AM »
Makes sense to me

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009 - 05:36:06 AM »
You should have a proportioning valve & I think that is where your problem may be.
See pics of valves here http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=56881.0
Inline Tube carries replacements but you may be able to disassemble & clean out yours.
I can't link directly, click on Proportioning Valves on the left then scroll down to Mopar
http://www.inlinetube.com/
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009 - 05:56:34 AM »
You should have a proportioning valve & I think that is where your problem may be.
See pics of valves here http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=56881.0
Inline Tube carries replacements but you may be able to disassemble & clean out yours.
I can't link directly, click on Proportioning Valves on the left then scroll down to Mopar
http://www.inlinetube.com/

Thanks...in the first link, scroll down to the picture of the car that has the red engine bay....the one I have is the one on the right...I have front drums so that is all I am supposed to have according to the manual....but the manual also says the thing is not rebuildable...........so I am hoping that the hoses are the culprit...but probably wont be.... :swear: