Author Topic: GEAR VENDOR PRO's AND CONS  (Read 18987 times)

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

• Coupe Custom Accessories
GEAR VENDOR PRO's AND CONS
« on: April 15, 2009 - 05:48:57 PM »
OK, I have a 73 challenger with a pretty stock 318 and a 904 trans. I drive the car about 26 miles a day. At the moment I am getting about 16-17 miles per gallon. My trans is coming up on needing some new seals and might be a good time to make a change. I was thinking of getting some non-byes opinions on putting an Overdrive in the car.
    Can anyone tell me what all is involved with installing one ( What has to change? Or is it plug and play?) I don't want to loose my stock slap stick shifter.
    Most of all what would be the fuel savings with daily freeway driving.
In short is it worth it?  :clueless:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: GEAR VENDOR PRO's AND CONS
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009 - 06:34:21 PM »
well it is not plug & play , you need to wire it in , modifly the floor to clear , change the tailhousing to bolt it up , possibly modify the exhuast to clear & have the driveshaft shortened , you will be looking at abotu 3500 to do the swap & depending what gears you have now you may drop the engine below the powerband & hurt the milage + how long at say 2 mpg would it take to see a benefit after spending $3500

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009 - 07:03:15 PM »
NZ,  sorry, CARLWALSKI will be all over this one....     :bigshades:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009 - 07:16:00 PM »
I have had one in my car for 5 years now.  I drive it a lot.  40,000 miles in 6 years.  I consider it the best upgrade I did to the car.  The quiet and low cruising rpm on the highway is priceless.  3000 rpm becomes 2340 at the push of a button.  As far as installation goes all we had to do was air hammer the tunnel on the passenger side a little to provide clearance for one bolt.  Also cut a little off the center of the cross member.   TTI H pipe had to be moved back some.  Driveshaft had to be shortened.  The electronics are modular plug and play.  GV includes the tailshaft adapter and the right angle speedo adapter.  No interference with original slapstick.  The unit has been flawless since being installed.  The only con I could name would be the cash outlay.  I paid 2200 years ago.  I think they are now 2500 or 2600.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009 - 07:18:36 PM by 500Stroker »

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009 - 12:31:04 PM »

Hey 500Stroker that is great info. But how much of an increase in fuel eco. Did you see I have a smaller motor but increase is increase. Was it around 2 miles per gallon like Chryco Psycho says or better. Would like to know so I can do the math. Right now if Chryco Psycho is right I am only saving about 5 bucks a week.  :popcorn:

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009 - 01:07:59 PM »
There's this company I noticed mentioned in Mopar Muscle, SMR Transmissions that sells 727's with Gear Vendors overdrives installed. I've no idea at all whether they're a decent business or not. Just wanted to pass the information on.

Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009 - 02:54:48 PM »
Wow that is good info! Thanks!!  :grinyes: - Trouble is they are in canada: :canada:
Freight would kick my butt! I would like to find someone in the US.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009 - 03:01:00 PM by TRIPPLE-GREEN »

Offline BacardiCBR

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009 - 03:31:51 PM »
You should read about CARLWALSKI's adventures with Gear Vendors

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=17298.0

and the updated one...

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=23610.0
'70 AAR Tribute Car

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009 - 04:55:38 PM »
Hey 500Stroker that is great info. But how much of an increase in fuel eco. Did you see I have a smaller motor but increase is increase. Was it around 2 miles per gallon like Chryco Psycho says or better. Would like to know so I can do the math. Right now if Chryco Psycho is right I am only saving about 5 bucks a week.  :popcorn:

Yes it was 2 miles per gallon increase on the highway.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009 - 06:10:54 AM »
As far as installation goes all we had to do was air hammer the tunnel on the passenger side a little to provide clearance for one bolt.  Also cut a little off the center of the cross member.   TTI H pipe had to be moved back some.  Driveshaft had to be shortened.  The electronics are modular plug and play.  GV includes the tailshaft adapter and the right angle speedo adapter.  No interference with original slapstick.  The unit has been flawless since being installed.  The only con I could name would be the cash outlay.  I paid 2200 years ago.  I think they are now 2500 or 2600.

I had exactly the same issues and experiences with a 360 and 904. If you look at the bottom left corner of the photo you can see where the exhaust pipe had to be cut and moved because the speedo cable was touching the exhaust pipe.  Floor had to be massaged in one area.  I put mine in because I went with a 3.55 rear and I wanted the lower RPMs on the highway.  Also, tell them what rear end and rear tire size and your speedo will be correct.  Price was $2750 with shipping.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009 - 06:59:26 AM »

I can't stand mine. Worst mod I have ever made. I'd love to sit here typing glorious things about it (because I have one in my car) but fact of the matter is, I can't, it's THAT bad. I have the "Autoshift sequencer" unit, not the stock manual unit. They're inconsistent, sloppy, jolty and just altogether a waste of cash. All I can say is don't fall for their gimmick "6-Speed Auto!!!!!!!" hype and BS like I unfortunately did. They make it out like you're going to have a 6-Speed short ratio drag racing sounding box LOL.....far from it, my stock shifter with 3 normal TF727 gears hits better 0-60mph times, easily. I can hit it properly and shift it as good as the next guy with GVs but you can only do so much, especially with a delay from the solenoid. As far as install, that was the easiest part, took 2 solid days to do it properly and allow room in the trans tunnel. The electronics is were my problems are.

They made the Autoshift unit as the stock unit is very messy, check out GVs own video for proof (the Nova ride). Every time you kick out it's like a hunting/delayed sound when the OD kicks out (due to the solenoid delay). Even Rick (manager who I have talked to many times) admits that it is delayed and jolty and that is the reason they are making/made? the Autoshift unit to clean up the OD out, shifts. Just, they sold mine without doing their R&D which we had to end up doing just to get the bulky POS to work. Even now it's always coming out of OD for it's own reason, the electronic module (4th one we've had to use) has a mind of it's own. All I use it for is an OD, the split gears is a waste of time and again, a gimmick. If I could do it again, I'd get an A518 (built) or a manual. Worst mod ever.........

:2cents: :pullinghair:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline TRIPLE-GREEN

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009 - 01:28:35 PM »
Wow your right that is alot to pay for just 2 miles more per gallon. At this point that would not ever pay me back. Thank you all for your info!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009 - 02:55:49 PM »
It would be cheaper to throw another pumpkin into the rear-end with different gears. That will give you the extra 2 or more and you wont have to change your driveshaft.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009 - 06:40:03 PM »
It would be cheaper to throw another pumpkin into the rear-end with different gears. That will give you the extra 2 or more and you wont have to change your driveshaft.

Rob
That's what I do, I have 2 pumpkins, one is 3.23 and the other is 4.10.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009 - 06:48:06 PM »

Rob

:iagree: I keep several ratios in my shop depending on what I want to do. Right now I have 3.23 gears in the car, but I also have run 2.76, 3.55 and 3.91. It doesn't usually take that long to make the swap either, usually about a half hour. BUt if you aren't swaping gears all the time allow for an hour or so. Even a couple of sure grip pumpkins are cheaper than a gear vendors.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe