Author Topic: what primer for engine enamel?  (Read 8205 times)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
what primer for engine enamel?
« on: April 16, 2009 - 03:47:07 PM »
I got some rattlecans engine enamel I want to use on my 440, block and heads.  What`s a good primer to use before applying the paint...?
*** Bart ***

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: what primer for engine enamel?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009 - 04:01:43 PM »
Hey Dutch, straight out of the can my friend.  No real need for primer when using engine enamel :2thumbs: on an engine of course. :cooldancing:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009 - 04:03:24 PM »
spend some time getting any grease or loose paint off with a brush and maybe some brake cleaner or laquer thinner will help it come out nice too.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009 - 05:03:48 PM »
thanks guys,

the block and heads have been washed before machinework was done so there`s no grease or paint on it.
 :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009 - 05:05:13 PM »
Yep, the big thing is getting it prepped. I used Marine clean, but use anything to get all the grease off. 

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009 - 04:40:07 PM »
Bart,

My upfront apology if my ? appears to hijack your post, but I thought it would be appropriate:

I just had my 340 rebuilt in February (not installed as of yet), but I noticed where the High Heat Engine Enamel paint was applied too thin in places and on parts of the valve covers I can actually scratch off the paint with my finger nail.  The low temperature at the time may be partly to blame.  Please don't bother telling me to go back to the mechanic, as I just want to fix this myself.  Can I just lightly sand the valve covers and respray the whole motor? 

Thanks, Charlie 70 Challenger

Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009 - 04:48:40 PM »
you will be able to do what you have suggested on your valve covers, i would suggest you get a Scotch Brite pad and lightly scuff the whole engine before you apply color so it will stick better, and make sure you whipe down the scuffed areas with a prepsol to remove any grease and dust from scuffing. :2thumbs:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009 - 04:53:21 PM »
Hey Dutch, make sure you do not go crazy when cleaning the block and spray any kind of thinner or degreaser solution around areas that have rubber seals if the engine is assembled.  I have seen guys do this and warn them doing so, because once you get the solvent on an assembled engine and it has the rear main seal in it, the seal has a tendancy to adhear or fuse itself to the crankshaft and tear the lips right off the seal in the first rotation of the crank :22yikes:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009 - 05:45:25 PM »
Hey Dutch, make sure you do not go crazy when cleaning the block and spray any kind of thinner or degreaser solution around areas that have rubber seals if the engine is assembled.  I have seen guys do this and warn them doing so, because once you get the solvent on an assembled engine and it has the rear main seal in it, the seal has a tendancy to adhear or fuse itself to the crankshaft and tear the lips right off the seal in the first rotation of the crank :22yikes:

no worries buddy, I`m painting all parts before assembly  :2thumbs:

hey charlie,  make sure the paint that`s already on will stick to the block ...  if it doesn`t you can paint it 10 times and it will still come off...
*** Bart ***

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009 - 06:39:04 PM »
they make an engine primer... is it duplicolor? same company that makes all the good engine paint...
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009 - 12:41:57 PM »
Oh yeah, another thing you can do is set the spray can in a bucket of hot tap water for a minute or two after shaking it up to loosen the ball/rattle, then shake again (and dry water off the can of course) This can help the spray can work a little better...
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009 - 01:45:20 PM »
what does it do... pump up the pressure a little?    I`ll try for sure  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009 - 06:02:17 PM »
i think it just helps to use warmer paint.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100