Author Topic: Barstow, California.... Yay or Nay?  (Read 1665 times)

goldengladiator

Barstow, California.... Yay or Nay?
« on: April 16, 2009 - 07:40:57 PM »
I am looking at a job that would require me to live in Barstow, California and commute to Ft. Irwin...

I am hearing some negative comments about Barstow. Anyone have any comments?

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Barstow, California.... Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009 - 07:44:34 PM »
you wont find much better around that area.  Find a good section of town and settle in.  Seems the nw side wasnt bad.  There's some e body dirt track cars there forsale around 400 bucks :2thumbs:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009 - 07:46:05 PM »
Depending on where in Barstow, it can be noisy - its a major rail hub.

Take a look on Google Earth....
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009 - 08:02:56 PM »
High desert - hot as hell in the summer, cold in the winter.  Ft Irwin is a 25+ mile one-way commute from Barstow.  Like ntstlgl1970 said, it's a major rail hub, but there are quiet parts of town. 
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009 - 08:08:06 PM »
a good steak house there too

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009 - 08:12:31 PM »
I drove thru there last summer. No thanks.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/postcards-pictures-of/pc446-BarstowMainStreet.jpg

Housing is cheaper out there for CA.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009 - 08:29:56 PM »
I am in Barstow (we call it Barstool) weekly.  Not much to do but drink, thus the nickname.  It is 70 miles from San Bernardino (to the south) and 25 mile from Victorville, the two closest towns with any thing good to do.  As others have said...HOT during the summer and COLD the winter.  Rent is cheap though.  It is mainly a potty stop for people traveling to Las Vegas.  If you are only there for a short time you will be ok.  But, if you have to live there for an extended period of time, I would think long and hard about it.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline toomanyprojects

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009 - 09:58:05 PM »
it all depends on what there gonna pay you-i had to spend 3 months TDY(tour of duty)-it was alright-i got paid pretty good so i wasn't complaining. i was on a 4 10 schedule-4 10 hr days-off sat, sun, monday-plenty of time to recoup for tuesday!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009 - 10:54:00 PM »
Last time I was thru there it was a balmy 109   :icon16:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009 - 11:03:17 AM »
All I know is there is a Marine Corps Logistics base out that way. Other than that I remember it looked like a crap hole when we drove though.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

goldengladiator

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009 - 12:12:23 PM »
Yeah, I kind of assumed as a young, single man I would have nothing to do. At all. And driving to and from Ft. Irwin for work as a contractor is not my cup of tea. Driving 45 minutes through nothing would be killer. But the job and money is good... So, who knows. In case anyone is wondering I am a scientist with a master's degree. The job would be doing endangered/threatened species research for the government as a non-government contractor.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009 - 01:04:55 PM »
Well, there are a lot of young, single guys around Barstow, since both Ft Irwin and aforementioned Marine Corps Logistics Base are there, so I suspect there would be things to do.  Most of 'em probably do involve barstools.  :drunk:  Victorville isn't too far away for a quick evening night out. LA is 1 1/2 hours, Vegas is 2 1/2 hours and San Diego 3 hours for a weekend away.

The drive out to Ft Irwin isn't too bad.  It used to take me about 45 minutes in a fully-loaded bus, so knock five minutes off in a car (over a certain part of the road, the speed limit is very strictly enforced.)  I think if it's something relatively short-termed, career-enhancing and well-paid, I'd put up with Barstow for awhile.  But I've got a bit of desert rat in me - I like the desert.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009 - 03:25:59 PM »
If you are single as stated and can make some good money in this economy, I'd go for it. Since it is a contract, I imagine that you wouldn't be there for too long anyway.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline cwestra

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009 - 03:41:24 PM »
Been through several times (potty break).  Plenty of dust.  Tough to keep a Challenger clean.  Gotta have a good radiator in your car during the summer.  Survivable for a short period of time I would imagine.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009 - 12:06:36 AM »
LA is a great party town, we always used to drive up to Hollywood when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project