Author Topic: Teenage Moral Crisis  (Read 6798 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Teenage Moral Crisis
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009 - 05:22:54 AM »
Is the glass half empty or the glass half full. I like to think that humans as a race are inherently GOOD. Yes evil is present throughout the world and evil people do evil things. I also see things like firefighters and police giving their lives at the Twin Towers to save another human being that is a total stranger to them. Our servicemen & women giving their lives for the cause of freedom. That is the ultimate sacrifice to gives one's life for another. To commit such an act does not come from a heart of evil. Good and evil both exist in this world. To serve either is a choice. I choose to serve good and serve God.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009 - 06:20:41 AM »
If God is doing such a fine job why are we still killing each other every day-where is he and what is he doing about it?
Yes knives and rocks can kill but how many less people if the Columbine kids or other killers  walked into a school or mall with only a knife or a rock.How far would they get till everyone fights back-you can`t fight back against a gun as they are too powerfull a weapon.
I also believe the vast majority of us humans are good but there will always be that small percent that are bad,some b/c of thier upbringing or surroundings and some who are just born bad and nothing anyone can do to change that.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009 - 07:57:58 AM »
you can`t fight back against a gun as they are too powerfull a weapon.

Sure you can.  Or, at least you were able to, before the government decided that guns are evil, and started taking steps to keep them out of law abiding citizens hands...

And lets face it, most people couldn't fight back against a knife, either.  Hell, I bet most Americans would have trouble defending themselves against an unarmed opponent...

Nor did I say humans were inherently evil.  Just violent.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:38:00 AM »
Wow.............gone for a couple days and find three pages of so far polite discussion.

Personally I do not buy into the concept of how or by whom you are raised determines how you think, live, and react in general. Obviously those circumstances affect you one way or another. But EVERYONE of us has an inner personal desire, some refer to it as a "will". Bottom line you and me are responsible for what and how we live and decide to do. There are kids who were raised by drunks and drug attics who may have been abused, yet they themselves made themselves good responsible people...........because they made a personal decision to do that. On the other hand there are kids from what appears to be normal, even "religious" homes and backgrounds, and yet the become violient people, sadly sometimes murderers. Why? Because they personally chose to do what they did.

There are good people, and there are bad people, and you can interject every possible reason you wish to explain why they are what they are.................they are what they are because of their personal choice. What do you want to "make" of yourself? Depends if you are weak and are looking for excuses, or strong and determined to do what is right.

Then there is another factor that can make these views inadvertent................an individuals mental health, his or hers capacity of logic, some call it mental health. Whatever you call it, it indeed affects individual responses. There are no easy answers or solutions, but each of us are accountable for ourselves.   :2cents:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:54:42 AM »
 :iagree:

My brother in law has been wheelchair bound the last 15 years not because of a knife or gun, but because somebody beat him with a baseball bat
causing a stroke. Sometimes, as it was in his case when he made the decision to mess with a married woman with a jealous husband, people bring violence upon themselves. I know another guy that got killed when he was hit in the head with a cinder block. He was always drugged up, running his mouth and hanging with the wrong people. Another guy ran over a guy with his car in the McDonnel's parking lot that stole his girlfriend. People that are predisposed to violence will find a way. Blaming guns is like blaming Cheeze for Ophras fat butt.  :grinyes:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline priderocks

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009 - 12:02:46 PM »
The capacity for good and evil co-exists in all humans. In the book "The Gulag Archipeligo" Solzenitzsen (SP?) describes a prison camp warden who would torture prisoners by day and take his daughters to operas in the evening.

Regarding how kids turn out, my plumber friend said "you can no more take the blame for your children's failures than credit for their successes." Some truth in that. The issue is free will.

Evil exists because of man's free will. That same free will is why you love your children, why soldiers fall on grenades to save their friends, and why firefighters entered the Twin Towers. God could remove evil, but the capacity for man's good would be removed also. Which world would you choose to live in?

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009 - 06:19:33 PM »

Personally I do not buy into the concept of how or by whom you are raised determines how you think, live, and react in general. Obviously those circumstances affect you one way or another. But EVERYONE of us has an inner personal desire, some refer to it as a "will". Bottom line you and me are responsible for what and how we live and decide to do.

:iagree: I have 2 stepsons that I raised from the ages of 7 and 8. One is a 10 year federal law enforcement officer and is raising 4 stepkids himself now. In his spare time he coaches varsity wrestling at the highschool and youth wrestling and Pop Warner football. His brother has never held a job more than 6 months and his mother and I have been raising his 2 daughters for the last 3 years. Until 2 weeks ago the girls hadn't seen or even heard from their dad for over 2 years, even though he's been here in town all this time. Both of these boys were raised side by side by their mother and I and treated equally and were raised up in the belief of God. They are so different, a lot of people wouldn't even believe that they are related. There is no boubt in my mind that a LOT of peoples' behaviour has nothing to do with the environment they were raised in!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009 - 07:35:16 PM »
Great comments and I've enjoyed reading them all. A lot of truth spoken here. Today is the tenth anniversary of Columbine and yesterday the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. Today Landsdale High School in Virginia Beach, VA had a mass of police and security because three boys were arrested for a plot to blow up the school today. Thank God they were caught. (they had two sawed off shotguns and over 28 pipe bombs) It is also the birthdate of Adolf Hitler. These kids were obsessed with Columbine and Hitler. Heminut made a good point about his stepsons. I would just hope that parents would get involved in the lives of their children as I mentioned before. And model a clean and moral life to their children. Love them and nurture them. I know there are  no set rules for life or parenting, but I think kids learn from the examples we set as parents. For example (and there are many) if the parents smoke, there is a HUGE possibility the kids will smoke. Children will most likely follow the religious beliefs of their parents. Even buy the same make of car their parents drive. If the parents model a life of moral depravity, good chance the kids will. All we as parents can do is set (model) the example and hope and pray for the best. Problem is that too many parents don't and that is what scares me. We are losing an entire generation of youth to X-Box, Playstation, Facebook, MySpace, TV, texting, and just plain ole apathy. I hope and pray some folks wake up and get involved in their kids lives before it's too late!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009 - 08:21:51 PM »
This has nothing to do with shootings or violence but it does have to do with teen morals and about how the entire world is obsessed with sex. I was helping a friend of mine strip and wax the floors of a grocery store on saturday night/sunday morning. you have to let the coats of wax dry 30 minutes to an hour before you can put on anothor coat so inbetween we had lost of time that we werent doing anything, i had read almost every magazine the store had by about 4 in the morning, so i picked up some young teen girl magazine, it said on the cover for ages 13-16, i dont remember the name of the title, but anyways i was readint thru it and ther was an article about how to give a good handjob!!!!! I for one was shocked and disturbed by this. For 13-16 year old girls. I have no children of my own, but i plan to someday and im sure all of you fathers would agree with me. No 13 yeard old daughter of mine needs to know how to give a good hand job. No wonder that teen pregnacy is at an all time high. There was a 12 year old girl at my school just a few months ago at my school taht thought she was pregnant. At 12 years old!!!!!   What is this world comming to????
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:36:01 PM »
If God is doing such a fine job why are we still killing each other every day-where is he and what is he doing about it?

God is not here to control Man and force him to do good. God gave Man free will, and He will not take that away. He wants those who follow Him to do it by choice, not by force.
Please tell me that is not the only reason you don't believe in Him.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:45:43 PM »
Great comments and I've enjoyed reading them all. A lot of truth spoken here. Today is the tenth anniversary of Columbine and yesterday the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing. Today Landsdale High School in Virginia Beach, VA had a mass of police and security because three boys were arrested for a plot to blow up the school today. Thank God they were caught. (they had two sawed off shotguns and over 28 pipe bombs) It is also the birthdate of Adolf Hitler. These kids were obsessed with Columbine and Hitler. Heminut made a good point about his stepsons. I would just hope that parents would get involved in the lives of their children as I mentioned before. And model a clean and moral life to their children. Love them and nurture them. I know there are  no set rules for life or parenting, but I think kids learn from the examples we set as parents. For example (and there are many) if the parents smoke, there is a HUGE possibility the kids will smoke. Children will most likely follow the religious beliefs of their parents. Even buy the same make of car their parents drive. If the parents model a life of moral depravity, good chance the kids will. All we as parents can do is set (model) the example and hope and pray for the best. Problem is that too many parents don't and that is what scares me. We are losing an entire generation of youth to X-Box, Playstation, Facebook, MySpace, TV, texting, and just plain ole apathy. I hope and pray some folks wake up and get involved in their kids lives before it's too late!!

Matt B.

Landstown had about 40% of the student body not show up. At OLHS we only had about 20% that didn't show up, but there was still and increase in security. We do not have a violent school at all, but we normally have 1-2 officers on duty at the school. Today we had about 5-6 officers searching the building all day.

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:47:47 PM »
Landstown had about 40% of the student body not show up. At OLHS we only had about 20% that didn't show up, but there was still and increase in security. We do not have a violent school at all, but we normally have 1-2 officers on duty at the school. Today we had about 5-6 officers searching the building all day.

About 20% didnt show up at my school today. But thats because its also national pot smoking day  :puke:

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:51:37 PM »

About 20% didnt show up at my school today. But thats because its also national pot smoking day  :puke:

Yeah that is most likely the reason here too

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:55:25 PM »
What's the world  comming to????

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009 - 11:46:06 PM »