New cars are FUGLY

Author Topic: New cars are FUGLY  (Read 494 times)

Offline burnt orange

New cars are FUGLY
« on: April 18, 2009 - 11:09:10 PM »
I just got back from sitting in a McParking lot waiting to pick up my daughter from her McJob.  I was about 45 minutes early and started looking at the cars driving by.  Man oh man, are new cars ever fugly!  Just about all of them are some shade of grey or reddish.  Every one looks just like the other one. 

In the 45 minutes I was there, there were only about 5 or 6 cars that were better than a "1".  I actually started to appreciate ricers..at least those guys created something with some individuality and personality!  The only other cars that had any character at all were Magnums, Mustangs and those weird boxes like the Scion or the Soul.  A Bently drove by...pretty cool but still grey and not really a styling masterpiece.  An older Ferarri (red of course) shreiked past - woke me up a bit.  Then......a 61 T'Bird.  At last, something with character!  Got me thinking.

I remember every September waiting with excitement for the new cars to be unveiled.  The first day my Dad and I would head to the dealerships as soon as he got home from work.  I even got a promo model kit of the 64 1/2 Mustang.  (I wish I still had that!)  It was exciting and made you really really want a new car.   Each year every manufacturer produced a new design that had very little to do with the previous year.  Not the "refresh" that cars today get.  Look at the fins, lights, colours, big chrome bumpers that changed each year!  Totally new styling (57 to 58 Chevy for example)  Cars used for racing that actually looked like cars you could own.   

"All new bumpers!!" or "Rearranged heating and airconditioning controls" or News Flash....."Three new exciting colours!"  One of my favourites is the statement "There is not a part on the new model that is carried over from last year, but unless you put them side by side you couldn't tell the difference."  Where the heck is the excitement?

And back then there were options, endless options.  Oh my, the options!

Now, we can choose "option packages" which usually means moving up to much more expensive models just to get the one option you really want.  I hate sunroofs but they seem to be compulsory with the leather seats or whatever.  Where is the choice?

Sure, the new cars can run circles around the old ones in every way, but where is the passion?  No wonder Detroit is crumbling under the wave of Japanese and Korean cars (even if they are "made in the USA")
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: New cars are FUGLY
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009 - 01:12:41 AM »
I hear that ,I used to be able to name any model of car that drove by ... you could tell the difference , now I don`t even care, & yeah you could get the options you wanted not just a group of options with 2 you want & 10 you could care less about , I wish I had been born at least 10 years earlier . Now I want a RWD car with a manual tranny ...wow what Challenger Mustang Vette or Viper ...take your pick  :banghead:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009 - 01:28:19 AM »
I hear that ,I used to be able to name any model of car that drove by ... you could tell the difference
[/quote

I know what you mean.  My Dad and I used to see who could identify a car the soonest by the arrangement of the headlights and parking lights or the taillights......at night.  I can still get most 60's and early 70's American cars.  It is amazing how it is possible to identify those cars simply by seeing almost any exterior part - the front bit of a fender, the vent window, a trunk handle, a hub cap or a paint colour even.  Not any more!
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline 73dce

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009 - 10:22:37 AM »
I agree, very few new cars have any flare, and if they do the cost is outrageous.  Especially American cars. 

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009 - 10:28:32 AM »
I used to be able to name any model of car that drove by ...

:iagree: Likewise.  Cars have truly lost their styling that used to make them unique to one another...I hate to say it, but even Honda Preludes had more styling than many of the cars out there today.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin