Author Topic: I finally got my Cuda!  (Read 2569 times)

Offline buddydog

I finally got my Cuda!
« on: April 19, 2009 - 12:06:20 PM »
This thread is just a starting point. I will update as time marches on but I wanted to share that I finally got her home yesterday (Saturday April 18th).

It was an epic 2-1/2 hour drive with a car dolly attached to my little Ford Escape but it did the job. One thing I want to mention, if ever you decide to pick up a full size car that no longer has a steering column, figure out some way to secure the front wheels!

Getting it on the dolly was a snap, the previous owner filled the tires that had been sitting deflated in a field for years. I had planned on having a flat bed trailer but that didn't work out. Needless to say, I didn't put a whole lot of thought into how the front tires would hold up, not really a problem until I attempted to unload the car at my storage place. Not only could I not back it up into the space on the dolly (because the front wheels keep moving around) but after I decided to get it off the trailer and push it in by hand, the front drivers tire blew. (You ever push a car 25 feet with a totally flat tire?!?)

Oh well! At least I finally have the car now and I am more motivated to get it in the garage. I didn't take any pictures yesterday because I was running all day to get it here, but I did discover something awesome!

It shouldn't be too hard to tell from the pictures, but this car is a little of everything as far as color goes. What I didn't realize was that when it comes time to pick a color, I will already have most of them represented in one spot! Okay, I knew there was some B5 blue and green but the front header panel is Plum Crazy. I just wish one spot had a little black on it and then I would have all of my favorites represented!

Anyway, I will probably not update for a month or so because I still have to get my old Chevy out of the garage before I can bring this girl home but I thought you'd all like to know everything went fine and you now have an new officially happy Mopar owner in the family!

wagesofsin

Re: I finally got my Cuda!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009 - 12:22:27 PM »
congrats!!!
 :2thumbs:

Offline dmk67

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009 - 12:34:43 PM »
CONGRATS !!! On completeing your mission i know how fustrating it can  be looking for that perfect project. It took me a year and a half,a lot of miles and gas .The payoff was total satisfaction and my money well spent on a solid 70 challey RT/SE U code. Again great project :clapping:

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009 - 12:58:37 PM »
nice start!

Look forward to seeing the progress!

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline darkhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009 - 01:13:41 PM »
Good Luck, and welcome!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Nigel
73 Cuda
65 Valiant Convertible
04 Dakota

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009 - 03:22:23 PM »
 :wow:  Great to see another one will be brought back to life.

It looks like a good starting point.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009 - 04:23:28 PM »
Congrats! I bet That 2-1/2 hour drive with the little Ford Escape and pushing the car 25 feet with a flat tire was worth it :2thumbs:

What was the price btw if you don't mind?

Goodluck on the restoration  :bigsmile:
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009 - 05:04:29 PM »
Congrats on saving another classic! Good luck, you will get there just keep plugging away at it.  :wave:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline buddydog

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009 - 05:07:56 PM »
The total was around 4500.00 and the only reason I have no regrets is because the guy was willing to take payments and hold onto it for several months. As far as the shape the car is in, it needs drivers rear quarter and tail panel (I've already got pieces lined up and paid for), steering column and seats. Everything else is there in some form, mostly it just needs a good sandblasting and replacement panels.

The car I am (finally!) finishing was about 3000.00 four years ago and was a bare shell so anything is a step up from that debacle!

It is surprisingly rust free (other than surface stuff) and complete. There are definitely other bits here and there that I will need, but for what I have planned it does not need to be numbers matching so I am not too concerned.

Thanks for the congratulations everyone, the journey begins in a few weeks.

Geoff

P.S. Anyone have any suggestions for removing a free spinning drum brake wheel stud? I almost had that sucker off and the last stud started turning on me. Grinder or jackhammer perhaps?

wagesofsin

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009 - 05:43:21 PM »
can you actually grab the stud with some vicegrips?

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009 - 09:34:50 PM »
Good looking cuda your starting with.   Can you lock onto the lug nut with vice grips and hacksaw or grind thru the stud/nut??   Will it jam as you tighten it (probably not, but I have to ask), if so you could jam it and twist the stud off.  It'll be great to see all these classic mopars when we all get are projects done and running :D
Phil

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009 - 01:21:59 AM »
Congratulations on your purchase.  :2thumbs:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline buddydog

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009 - 11:39:25 PM »
So you are all dead if my wife finds you after you have read this... Basically, you are all guilty by association as she doesn't know I bought the Cuda, yet.

Anyway, thanks to Harbor Freight I did some of my first sandblasting today. I only got the 20# pot but it is working just fine after the addition of a filter element so I am not going to complain. Also, I have nothing but time so I am in no hurry to blast without the ever present refills.

I brought the deck lid home today and got the underside done. As I am not proficient with the blaster yet I will D/A the exterior with 80 o as not to mess anything up. After you take a look at the pictures, do me a favor and tell me how I should hit the bits between the bonded panels without screwing anything up.

Thanks folks!

P.S. Can anyone tell me what color the flat mounting adjustment pieces should be (the pieces that ride between the skin and interior panel that the bolts screw into.)

G
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009 - 12:51:44 AM by buddydog »

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009 - 11:47:20 PM »
i would get some por 15 or rust bullet and pour it in the decklid and have a buddy help slosh the paint around
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline buddydog

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009 - 01:33:02 AM »
Hey guys,

Before I beat my head against the wall anymore (yes I used "search"), should I have a problem using 70-71 center caps on 72-plus rallye wheels?

Thanks,

G

P.S. Blasting is going well, one fender at a time.