Local guy's 71 Challenger

Author Topic: Local guy's 71 Challenger  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Mentally Challenged

Local guy's 71 Challenger
« on: April 19, 2009 - 10:33:03 PM »

’71 RT catches attention of Mopar world
By Virgil Shipley

April 18, 2009

MOUNT VERNON — The 1971 Dodge Challenger RT sat gleaming in the bright sun. After 11 months of restoration work, it is better built than when it came off the factory assembly line.

But the white RT sitting at Jack’s Garage on Sharp Road is not just another Dodge Challenger. It is a special order, one of-a-kind-car with distinctive options.

The option most difficult to see is a flat white stripe along the flanks, with the RT letters on the rear fenders. Apparently the white on white was to subdue the true nature of the car.

Discuss  ’71 RT catches attention of Mopar world A bright option is the upholstery, and orange hounds-tooth design. The car also has all of the original parts, with matching serial numbers on each, adding to its value.

“I bought it as an investment,” is how owner Bob Meldahl of Newark explains his purchase of the nearly complete, but much used, car several years ago. Searching for a restoration shop, after much inquiry the choice came down to Tim Miller at Jack Cunningam’s garage. A veteran metal worker and mechanic, Miller was the only one who worked to complete the car.

In the Mopar world — which means Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars — the car is so unusual it attracted the attention of the publisher of the magazine Mopar Collectors Guide. The magazine’s feature editor, Randy Holden, said the publication is for Mopar enthusiasts of cars made in the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s, all around the world. Published monthly, it has a subscription list of over 50,000.

Holden said he will write a story for the magazine about Meldahl’s car, but a publication date has not been set. Photography is a large part of car publications and the magazine has several photographers who travel around the United States for shoots. Friday morning, staff photographer Paul Wilson was at Jack’s for a shoot.

But those white stripes frustrated him. They are barely visible to the eye, and getting a picture proved difficult.

Wilson shot with and without flash, and even covered the shop windows, trying for light that would make the stripes “pop.” Then the car was driven outside and placed against a green sloping lawn. Wilson shot it — from every angle, including from a step ladder and lying on the ground.

The car is now back in Meldahl’s garage. What is the asking price for a return on Meldahl’s investment? If you have to ask you can’t afford it, he said.

photos@mountvernonnews.com
Chris, Ohio

Re: Local guy's 71 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009 - 10:34:17 PM »
I dont know the guy, but I thought it was pretty cool.
Chris, Ohio

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009 - 10:38:23 PM »
Too bad it did not have a white top and interior, a triple white car is as cool to me as a triple black car.  :2thumbs:
Cool story but not very much was mentioned about what the cars options or the engine package.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009 - 10:46:28 PM »
Yea our local paper is generic. The guy who did the story really needs to retire. I am suprised it made it to the local paper, usually the only thing they print, is things nobody cares about. It did say in the article, that the car is gonna be in Mopar Collectors Guide. Hopefully they will tell more about it. Our news guy could have took more pictures also, that would have helped.
Chris, Ohio

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009 - 12:36:11 AM »
That is one sweet Challenger for sure. It was in front of the Mopar tent at last years Nats.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009 - 01:13:35 AM »
I dont know if this is the same Challenger you are thinking of. I am pretty sure they just got this one done not to long ago. I could be wrong though.
Chris, Ohio

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009 - 01:48:02 AM »
It is a very cool car to be sure.  It is the same one that was on display at the Nats last year.  The car was for sale and I picked up a sheet with the data about the car which I still have. It is a 340 auto car (column shift!), and the red orange seat inserts, it is an AM radio car but the dash was upgraded to a 3 speaker dash because he "assumed a new sound system would be in order to replace the correct AM radio".
He was asking $108,000
Very cool car, not very cool price!  Good luck to him trying to sell it for anywhere near what he wants in this market!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009 - 02:01:13 AM by JH27N0B »

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009 - 03:31:19 AM »
Thats cool, I don't know the guy personally. Never met him. I was wrong it was finished last year. I'm not sure why the paper would do an article about it now. Somebody probably called them about it. $108,000 seems pretty steep to me. I should have went to check it out while it was still at the shop, but I never did. I never did get to see the car in person, although I may have walked right past it at the Nats. I did'nt even realize it if I did. lol
Chris, Ohio

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009 - 03:45:25 AM »
So a factory flat white stripe on a white car makes it worth 50K more than it would normally be worth?  ??? 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009 - 09:41:16 AM »
So a factory flat white stripe on a white car makes it worth 50K more than it would normally be worth?  ??? 
Guess you know what you need to do now...
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009 - 12:10:54 PM »
It's a neat car but as others have said, good luck getting that kind of money for it. It is the only white stripe white 1971 Challenger I have heard of.

I have heard of a 1970 R/T that was white with white stripes, but it was parted and crushed many years ago. I wish I had the numbers for it, but I don't. :(  I think the stripes sould have been easier to see on a 1970.

I also have 1970 340 car that is white with a white bumblebee stripe, but that's a whole other can of worms. I wish I knew more about it's history.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009 - 05:14:39 PM »
I wonder if something like that was just a mistake on assembly line by a worker that came in with a bad hangover. They might have just changed the build sheet instead of removing the stripe.  :dunno:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009 - 07:50:31 PM »
I have seen pictures of a 70 done that way. Its no more a mistake to do that than for a guy to put a black stripe on a black car. Odd and rare maybe but I would be willing to bet it was done on purpose.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline kissalien

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009 - 10:06:19 AM »
:iagree:  Do you have any pics of that '70 you can post?

Offline back n black

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009 - 10:43:20 AM »
Sharp car, but I will keep my $108,000 neatly tucked away in my wallet. :bigsmile: