Author Topic: Aluminum brake master cylinder.  (Read 2731 times)

Offline cudaneil

• Mopar or Nocar ?
Aluminum brake master cylinder.
« on: April 20, 2009 - 12:24:40 PM »
Hi Guys,
            My 72 cuda is fitted with a gold aluminum master cylinder with a black plastic reservoir with 2 screw on caps.

I dont have a power booster, and this cylinder is a newer upgrade fitted by the previous owner.

After about 10 applications of the brake pedal, the damn thing overflows out of the filler caps !

Now at first i thought the reservoir was overfull,but the level is now down to halfway,and it still overflows.

Must sort this out soon as my paintwork is being damaged by the brake fluid    :1zhelp: 
just one more job to do..................  (O----{|||}----O)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Aluminum brake master cylinder.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 - 03:45:09 PM »
First off, it may be worth your while to swap out to DOT 5 brake fluid before risking your paint too much. I have one of the plagued gold aluminum master cylinders that a moparts member was selling a few years back. MANY people had problems with the caps sealing. I tossed the caps that were on there, in favor of factory ones off a junkyard car. Pretty much solved my problem with the caps leaking. Many people had/have problems with those distributed out of a certain batch i guess...
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline cudaneil

• Mopar or Nocar ?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 - 04:02:52 PM »
Thanks,
           thats good news in a way, it means i only have to change the caps !

The bad news though, is that i won't find replacements here in the uk.      >:(

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 - 05:24:40 PM »
Those same caps were used on a large number of Chrysler econo-boxes through the late 70 and through the 80s. I don't know if that would help your odds of locating any. There may also be a comparable type master cylinder used on any number of asian cars from the same period of time.

Offline cudaneil

• Mopar or Nocar ?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009 - 05:48:29 PM »

I dont think we have any 70/80' s   cars still in the breakers yards............they will have been crushed by now !

Its not like the USA  here  im afraid !!!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009 - 08:06:17 PM »
I can get you all the caps you need if you are willing to buy shipping? Via paypal or the like. Might as well grab a couple sets to make sure you get the best shot at getting it sealed up.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009 - 08:08:32 PM »
Are these the same master cylinders that Ebooger is selling on Moparts? I have been wondering how good they are.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

moparniac

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009 - 08:20:43 PM »
First off, it may be worth your while to swap out to DOT 5 brake fluid before risking your paint too much. I have one of the plagued gold aluminum master cylinders that a moparts member was selling a few years back. MANY people had problems with the caps sealing. I tossed the caps that were on there, in favor of factory ones off a junkyard car. Pretty much solved my problem with the caps leaking. Many people had/have problems with those distributed out of a certain batch i guess...

I have the same one.. lol hasnt leaked yet but it just got put on....

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:01:46 PM »
Count me in as one with damaged paint from these POS M/C caps.

Tom :stomp:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:34:37 PM »
Well that settles it. When it comes time I will be using silicone Dot 5 brake fluid. My car is just a driver and will never be a show car but I dont want paint getting eaten off of it because of a brake fluid leak   :scared:
*Brett*

Offline 73challenger_TN

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009 - 11:12:05 AM »
I have had that problem. I had a chrome cover on my master cylinder right after paint. It looks HORRIBLE now...

Offline cudaneil

• Mopar or Nocar ?
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009 - 03:49:24 PM »
 :2thumbs:
               THANKS FOR THE OFFER GOODY................................But i just found out something from a supplier!

He has admitted that there was a problem with some of the reservoir caps not sealing,and says its only

because the sealing surface under each cap on the actual reservoir neck is not flat.

So you just get a small block of wood and some abrasive paper and sand them flat. Im having a go at it !

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009 - 04:59:02 PM »
I just put a chrome cover on mine today. This is attempt #2. I'll know for sure when I take it out this weekend for some fun. So far it works pumping the pedal while sitting in the garage.   

To be continued..     :popcorn:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009 - 09:54:18 PM »
:2thumbs:
               THANKS FOR THE OFFER GOODY................................But i just found out something from a supplier!

He has admitted that there was a problem with some of the reservoir caps not sealing,and says its only

because the sealing surface under each cap on the actual reservoir neck is not flat.

So you just get a small block of wood and some abrasive paper and sand them flat. Im having a go at it !

Whats keeping the plastic shavings from going into the small orifices in the master cylinder though? Be careful!
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009 - 10:10:07 PM »
The more you guys tell horror stories about leaks the more I am leaning towards just putting a stock cast iron one back on.  :eek4:
*Brett*