Author Topic: Came across this article on restoration  (Read 1233 times)

Offline KZ

Came across this article on restoration
« on: April 20, 2009 - 01:51:20 PM »
Thought I would include the link and invite any comments

http://www.colinsclassicauto.com/Domestic%20Affairs--12.2008.pdf

Offline 73yellowfish

Re: Came across this article on restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 - 04:04:03 PM »
Very interesting article.  If i would of read that a few years ago, well, i proably wouldn't have the basketcase of cuda right now.. ha..  The numbers seem a bit high.. ie. $50,000 (600 hours @ $75: 5k for paint) for body and paint would better be one heck of paint job.. a little rich for my blood.. but what do i know

Thanks!
'73 cuda
(O [       ]{|||}[       ] O)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 - 04:24:57 PM »
Some of his numbers seem a bit high, but the paint is way low. My friend just had a shop repaint is Viper the stock color and the bill came to $10,000 and there was no body work to be done. The shop used top notch materials and the car has a beautiful mirror finish now far exceeding the factory paint. A car with body damage or needing panel replacement at a top notch shop could easily run over $30,000. What this article doesn't take into account is performing the work yourself. I save a ton of money doing all of my own work, but the cost of a restoration is still not cheap. Fortunately for me I have never lost money on a car that I restored and then sold. Of course you get those who say that my time isn't free, but this is my hobby and I love building cars.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 - 10:41:14 PM »
IMHO very few vehicles are worthy of that kind of treatment. What you end up with either way is a museum piece. Not my cup of tea, give me something I can drive. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009 - 11:24:22 PM »
Thanks for posting the article.  The body shop I hired is one of the "small ones, but does have a paint booth".    For the record, not saying its best or worst;  my car is having the roof replaced, both rear quarters, wheel wells and trunk extensions.  All removable panels are being painted off the car, everything is being epoxy primed and sealed as best as possible, for this will be a true daily driver.  Plenty of minor dings and such to fix.  The paint and body estimate came out to between $12,000 and $15,000 which includes block sanding 3 times.  I supplied the new skin panels.   I will do the color sanding myself at the body shop with their guidance.   The panels went on without too much fuss, but on the other hand the oem rear valance required many hours of fitting and tweeking to match up to the new quarters. 
And yes, I go to the shop once a week, and I suggested paying installments as the job progresses.  They really liked the idea, and thats what we are doing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009 - 09:52:56 AM by femtnmax »
Phil