Author Topic: Crappy aftermarket oil pan fitment  (Read 3982 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Crappy aftermarket oil pan fitment
« on: April 20, 2009 - 11:05:38 PM »
I decided to replace my trashed Moroso oil pan with a Mancini (Charlies) brand 8 qt oil pan.  Initially it looked like a really nice piece, all aluminum and much more shallow than the old one.  I tried fitting it and ran into my first obstacle, most of the bolt holes were not centered and had to be opened up with a dremel.  Ok, that sucks especially for a $300 oil pan but oh well.  Then I tried fitting it up with a gasket, not even close.  I used 3 completely different gasket sets ( one piece SCE, Felpro, ROL) and none worked.  All of them have the same main problem, the front seal lip doesn't fit at all.  The seal sits up too high, seems too thick to work with the pan, and the pan lip itself is too wide.  I ended up trimming the parts that overhang on the pan to even attempt install and it still didn't work.   :stomp:

I had this same problem with the Moroso, on top of it being horribly warped from pan rail to pan rail.  I ended up using sealer all the way around which was a mess to clean up later and ended up leaking anyways.  I didn't have time to do anything else since I wanted the car running.  I actually exchanged the Moroso for another one, and it too did not fit for anything.  I had to destroy the pan to separate it to reseal it which is why I bought this one hoping it would be better.  So much for that.  There has to be a gasket or aftermarket pan that doesn't require the nightmare of using and cleaning up messy RTV everytime it has to come off.  Is anyone else having these problems with the aftermarket small block pans? 

This is a 360 small block BTW, and the rear seal part seems fine so it isn't a 340 pan that I got.  I will try to call Mancini this week to see what they have to say if I can fit it in my schedule.  I've done numerous oil pan gaskets on older vehicles with the 3 piece setup, so I know I'm doing it all right.  Any advice or experience with this would be very appreciated, this is very frustrating!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Crappy aftermarket oil pan fitment
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009 - 11:22:06 PM »
Well it's probably too late now that you took a dremel tool to it. You could have complained and sent it back but they probably aren't gonna take it back like that. I have a Stef's aluminum pan and it fit right on. No experience with Charlies stuff.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009 - 11:30:40 PM »
Where did you get the one-piece SCE pan gasket?  Summit shows them for 340, but not 360.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 - 11:37:06 PM »
I bought it from Summit several years ago, SCE still lists one on there website though.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009 - 10:04:57 AM »
I've got a Charlie's pan on my 5.7 hemi and it fit great. I didn't have any problems putting it on, and no leaks either. I reused the factory gasket.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009 - 11:56:15 AM »
the Magnum engine series uses a different gasket have you tried that one ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline quagmire

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009 - 11:58:32 AM »
No I havent, thats a good idea I didn't even think of.  Maybe the pan is designed to work with that gasket instead.  Will it even fit up since it is a LA motor?  I'm going to call Mancini at lunch today.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009 - 12:11:34 PM »
the pan bolt pattern is the same but the front banana seal is much thinner & doesn`t have the thicker blocks in the corners

Offline quagmire

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009 - 12:19:09 PM »
Really, huh?  That is exactly why mine won't fit.  The front seal is too thick, and the blocks sit up too tall.  I had to call Charley directly, but they said he probably won't be able to get back to me today.  That stinks, I just want this car up and running!  Hopefully it is something stupid, I'd be okay with just having to use the Mag gasket, since it is also a one piece rubber unit.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009 - 01:30:57 PM »
Ok, the verdict is in.  Charley called me at lunch, apparently the front lip is made with a smaller radius to eliminate the seal.  He said to use sealer on the whole pan, no gaskets.  I think I will try and see if the Magnum one will fit since it is thinner, I really do not want to silicone the whole pan back on since I destroyed the old one trying to separate it from the block.  They do have excellent service though, I didnt think theyd call me till tommorrow. 

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009 - 03:31:07 PM »
I think my Stef's pan was the same way. Just a very small gap front and back. I used the gaskets on the pan rails and just used Ultra Copper on the ends. Same as on a SB Intake. Just don't use too much and keep it towards the outside of the flanges so it doesn't sqeeze out into the inside of the pan and get sucked into the oil pickup.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline quagmire

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009 - 12:25:35 AM »
Just an update:

I ended up buying a parts store replacement Felpro one piece oil pan gasket for a Magnum motor.  The front banana seal portion still wouldn't fit, so I cut it out and used sealant only there.  The rest of the gasket was used, and it has a steel core so it is a breeze to install with studs since it holds itself in place.  It should be reusable too.  The clearance I gained with this pan is awesome, easily a few inches over my old Moroso. It also holds an extra quart (8qts.) over the old along with being a whole lot lighter. 

I also installed a windage tray, higher pressure relief spring, rubber locking motor mounts, a bunch of other misc. parts, and checked the bearings.  Almost ready for summer!  Now I just need to rig a decent vent setup for my tank, stupid vapor separator keeps sticking. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009 - 12:54:00 AM »
 :2thumbs:

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009 - 10:45:50 PM »
Does this mean that the pan wasn't crappy? Just you needing some good advice?
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009 - 11:04:18 PM »
No, it wasn't crappy.  Some instructions saying that it was specifically designed to be used with sealant only would have been nice.  They designed the front radius of the pan to be closer than normal so a gasket wouldn't fit.  Mancini Racing didn't know anything about it, so I had to contact them directly.  I did have to spend some time dremeling the bolt holes to fit.  I'd still prefer it had been set up to use a one piece Magnum motor gasket or other solution.  I really don't think having to spend tons of time scraping Rtv and risking engine damage due to contamination every time the pan is removed is such a hot idea.  Especially for racers that probably drop the pan periodically.  Just my opinion.  It was apparently done to reduce the headache of using the stocker 3 piece, I would have designed it to use the Magnum gasket personally.  I ended up cutting the front section out of a Magnum gasket and using sealer only on that portion to cut down on the need for it.  It's still a whole lot better than either of the two Moroso pans I tried, they fit like garbage.  Both of them had pan rails warped close to a 1/2".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009 - 11:06:17 PM by quagmire »