Author Topic: What if...........?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
What if...........?
« on: April 22, 2009 - 03:35:00 PM »
 :wave:  As I've become more "mature" I realize I certainly look and think differently about Life. And not only my life but humanity in general. "What if",.............and we all could add a novel length commentary, couldn't we?

But within the last week after Russ posted the You Tube link to the performance of Susan Boyle, the "What if" factor has really been upon my mind, and I must also say heart. I litterally listened to that every day and another recording of hers where she sings "Cry Me A River", the lady is fanominal (sp?) ! I really am quite smitten with her, her voice, her story, everything. I'm not going to attempt to relay her biography, but she comes from a poor area, her father was a coal miner, she basically "gave" up her early life to care for her ailing mother. She was bullied while in school, and at least until last week,  still was. She is unemployed and lives in a government subsidized housing complex, but does volunteer work. But now she will be able to become a world wide recognized musical talent and become very rich. But "What if" she had not followed through with the encouraging support of her few friends to apply and go on that show. BUT SHE DID !  :clapping:

All that has prompted me to begin thinking, "What if", others in this worlds' humanity were given an opportunity ?  How many Eisteins would the world have if those blessed with natural intellenge, but yet undeveloped because they could not attend the upper levels of gramer school let alone some university? How many doctors and surgens and scientist would we have? Perhaps dieses such as cancer would have long ago been cured, not to mention other malandies of mankind? But they come from the poor neighborhoods and never had the resources to pursue that kind of education. And without such education you do not even get the opportunity. It's not uncommon for someone to be better qualified, but dosen't get the chance only because of that degree.  But it seems colleges and universities are so eager to hand out full scholorships for atheletes, but scholositic scholorships are far and few, and we won't even consider the level necessary  to maintain the comparritive scholorships.

Now don't misinterrupt, I love sports but they are merely to most of us a means of intertainment.  And also.............I love to listen to that good old rock and roll of the late 60's and the 70's.  But I certainly will buy a few CD's by a certain Susan Boyle when they become available.   "What if ?"    :2cents:

Thank you again Russ.  :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline hebeegbz

Re: What if...........?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009 - 06:54:05 PM »
well put ,but as always the cream always rises to the top .do you remember janis joplin same thing all over again but i hope for a better ending here . a good rule is that the best in ones feild
will spend every ounce of energy to perform at the top ,but this leaves one short in most other areas in life a trade off of sorts .so many tallented people will fall short at what they do if for no other reason than  they are seriously flawed in other areas.  look at the gold medalist last summer and his dope ordeal a real looser over all .my point is tallent lost probably never was or should have been .
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009 - 07:10:17 PM »
I am not sure that the cream always comes to the top.  Seems everyone judged me and everyone else and it was a select few that decided what we could do with our lives.  I have kept at it and tryed to do my best. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 - 07:29:49 PM »
Susan Boyle is a real winner. She has a remarkable voice and a remarkable story. It is true of some people that have a God given gift and simply squander it away. Never use it. While others never have the opportunity to use it to it's fullest. Some folks excel in their early lives and fade into eternity before they hit 25 years old. Others never shine until their golden years. I know I am talking about an atlete here, but I love the story of Jim Braddock, a do nothing marginal boxer with great talent, but never had the real drive or opportunity to shine until the great depression. Being forced into a corner and possibly losing his son went back into the ring and became one of the greatest boxers of his time. Anybody recall the movie called "Cinderella Man" with Russell Crowe?? It is the movie based on the life of Jim Braddock. I have a close friend that is very intelligent, has a 4 year degree and NEVER worked in a field that required a college degree. He worked mostly minimum wage jobs & he drank all his money away and has never used his gifts or talents. I went to high school with Lawrence Taylor (New York Giants) and he never played football until his junior year in high school, but after discovering his ability....well he played pro ball and was an outstanding athlete!! It all kinda reminds me of the biblical parable of the talents. One servant hid his talents (money) in the ground and never used/invested them. When his master returned and asked for a report, he was angry for his servant not using the talents. I guess it's up to us to use our talents and abilities to the fullest that we are able. That's the bottom line. We may be hindered by our enviroment or place in society, but should never squander our God given gifts and abilities!! Use them as we are able, the rest will take care of itself!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009 - 07:32:22 PM »
I am not sure that the cream always comes to the top.  Seems everyone judged me and everyone else and it was a select few that decided what we could do with our lives.  I have kept at it and tryed to do my best.
understood, i can only share my experences but my short falls have been all on me .when im alone with my thought i usually can see in hind sight what left me short against a person thad did sometimes just a little more or thought of a better way of selling himself .carl edwards of nascar comes to mind i watched that kid run ads in speed sport news looking for a ride and roush responded after  a year and my friends all thought he was a goober and look were he is today .a side note i ran a night with him in a different kind of race car and he checked out and i never saw him till he laped me .its all about the cream .

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009 - 07:34:50 PM »
Susan Boyle is a real winner. She has a remarkable voice and a remarkable story. It is true of some people that have a God given gift and simply squander it away. Never use it. While others never have the opportunity to use it to it's fullest. Some folks excel in their early lives and fade into eternity before they hit 25 years old. Others never shine until their golden years. I know I am talking about an atlete here, but I love the story of Jim Braddock, a do nothing marginal boxer with great talent, but never had the real drive or opportunity to shine until the great depression. Being forced into a corner and possibly losing his son went back into the ring and became one of the greatest boxers of his time. Anybody recall the movie called "Cinderella Man" with Russell Crowe?? It is the movie based on the life of Jim Braddock. I have a close friend that is very intelligent, has a 4 year degree and NEVER worked in a field that required a college degree. He worked mostly minimum wage jobs & he drank all his money away and has never used his gifts or talents. I went to high school with Lawrence Taylor (New York Giants) and he never played football until his junior year in high school, but after discovering his ability....well he played pro ball and was an outstanding athlete!! It all kinda reminds me of the biblical parable of the talents. One servant hid his talents (money) in the ground and never used/invested them. When his master returned and asked for a report, he was angry for his servant not using the talents. I guess it's up to us to use our talents and abilities to the fullest that we are able. That's the bottom line. We may be hindered by our enviroment or place in society, but should never squander our God given gifts and abilities!! Use them as we are able, the rest will take care of itself!!

Matt B.

yeah what he said.

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009 - 08:03:40 PM »
Well said WSM, well said!!!!  :cheers: