Author Topic: About overhead console and formed headliner for 70 SE.  (Read 4522 times)

Offline challe70

About overhead console and formed headliner for 70 SE.
« on: April 23, 2009 - 01:55:10 AM »
How hard  to find and rare they are, and expensive?? I think, i need to find them for my challe. And ofcouse the some :picture: of them would be great too.  :2thumbs: I think, rest of the interior would be easier, because it is same basic stuff than other challenger interiors too.  :bigsmile: All help would great,thanks.  :thinkerg:  :1zhelp:
1970 dodge challenger SE

Offline dmk67

Re: About overhead console and formed headliner for 70 SE.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009 - 06:44:28 AM »
The over head consulette shows up on EBAY kinda regularly.A nice option but not to hard to find.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009 - 10:18:43 AM »
The hardboard headliner is not being reproduced by anyone.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline challe70

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009 - 12:52:24 PM »
yes, i know.  :( That`s why i ask. I think, only way is to find some used headliner, what can still restore. If then try to make one by self. Those overhead consolettes find easier than headliners for SE or Gran coupe.
1970 dodge challenger SE

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009 - 01:21:34 PM »
The overhead console not so hard to find, the headliner board darn near impossible. Good news though when I have found headliner boards for sale they have been for Challengers and not Barracudas. But I think in the past 3 years I have seen like 2 or 3 tops come up for sale.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline dmk67

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009 - 09:19:07 PM »
If you do a C.C. search I think ,. there was a member here reproducing them from a fiberglass mode  :clueless:

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009 - 09:57:53 PM »
Since you live in finland, shipping the headliner will probably cost more then buying it. I know a guy that knows a guy that has a 70 s/e challenger forsale, its a piece of junk and i dont know if he would sell parts off of it or not. Ill check into it.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline challe70

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009 - 11:36:48 PM »
Thanks.  :2thumbs: I know, that headliner is hard to find, since they dont do it repro yet. Many other parts of challengers you can find nos or they are same for every challengers. But, i have time to find correct headliner for her, i think it isn`t the first part of my upcoming project.  :D 
1970 dodge challenger SE

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009 - 11:50:34 PM »
Thanks.  :2thumbs: I know, that headliner is hard to find, since they dont do it repro yet. Many other parts of challengers you can find nos or they are same for every challengers. But, i have time to find correct headliner for her, i think it isn`t the first part of my upcoming project.  :D

Yes, you should have plenty of time too look, the headliner would be one of the last things you would need.

Offline challe70

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009 - 12:24:32 AM »
Yes, i think so too.  :rofl: She gonna be daily driver, so the most important think to do is to get her road again. But somewhere in future, i want to put correct headliner for her.  :thumbsup: But i think, she not gonna be never no show car, unless i want to make her in that condition, that i can take some small local carshow.  :2thumbs: But any big award winner is no goal, most important is to drive her, and have some fun for strip.  :burnout:
1970 dodge challenger SE

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009 - 04:18:32 PM »
I know a guy that has the complete setup with hardboard piece that I would like to get and put in my car. How much should I expect to pay?

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009 - 04:31:25 PM »
I know a guy that has the complete setup with hardboard piece that I would like to get and put in my car. How much should I expect to pay?

Im not sure man, i paid almost 100 for my overhead console (one piece at a time) My car still had the headliner in it.   My car was stolen in the 80's and stripped, i got the car in Missouri in 2003, i was at a swap meet in 2004 and bought the overhead console that had been stolen out of my car some 20 years ago!!!  I am 100%  sure because someone had tried to use duct tape to hold it up and the tape lines on the headliner matched the tape lines on the console. the guy i bought it from said he found it in the back of a firebird in the late 90's. Weird huh??

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009 - 07:53:16 PM »
Is your car a vinyl headliner car? If the cardboard headliner proves to be too much of a chllenge you can still mount the console in your car with a little work.

I was able to install a factory overhead console in my 72 Cuda with the standard vinyl headliner. Is fully functional, and looks like it came that way. The only additional part I needed was another dome light support from a donor car. I located it forward of the existing support and it provides the forward attach point for my console.

To be fully functional there are some odd and ends that you will need to chase down. Some of which are the low fuel relay, wiring, secondary door switches, overhead console dome light, etc.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline challe70

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009 - 02:24:34 AM »
Fendertag says that she has formed headliner for factory. But i think, that i can live without it.  :lol2: She is not going to be no show car, so i dont think that make no broblem to live without it. But that overhead consolette i want put on her, that dont mind, it is with correct formed headliner or vinyl headliner. But if i find that formed headliner somewhere, i think i will use that.  :bigsmile:
1970 dodge challenger SE

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009 - 08:37:40 AM »
Cool
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger