Author Topic: Need some Hemi advice  (Read 829 times)

Offline sprecks

Need some Hemi advice
« on: April 26, 2009 - 02:46:57 PM »
Here's the deal, I ran some trash through the oil system and ended up buying a new Eagle crank. My old crank had already been turned 0.020" so I didn't want to go any more. My old rods and pistons weigh out at about 3300 grams. It's going to take a bunch of heavy metal to get the new crank balanced but it can be done. The other option is to buy new Eagle H beam rods and Diamond pistons. This combination weighs about 2800 grams and will still take some heavy metal to balance but not nearly as much.
Which way should I go? Is it worth the extra $1500 bucks for the new stuff or should I use my old pistons and rods? The old rods and pistons are in excellent shape just heavy.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Need some Hemi advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009 - 03:24:20 PM »
this is another of the questions where there is no right answer , you know the benefits of using new parts , less mass = longer engine life & more power ... what can your budget handle ??

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline oldkimmer

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009 - 12:13:25 AM »
............Actually u r better off 2 grind ur old crank down and use it..what u r doing then with the bigger bearing is slowing down the bearing speed which actually puts less stress on the crank.....old thinking was that grinding the crank weakened it......kim
The beast has been unleashed........Thems the hazzards..........Unleash the beast......

Offline sprecks

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009 - 07:31:46 AM »
Slower bearing speed is a good thing, but isn't the crank case hardened? Wouldn't I loose the hardening on the crank bearing surface?
you can call me Jay

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009 - 11:53:04 AM »
no the cranks are high quality steel so the journals were not hardened except on some Hemi race cranks

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline sprecks

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009 - 01:00:54 PM »
no the cranks are high quality steel so the journals were not hardened except on some Hemi race cranks
Thanks for the input. I've decided to quit screwing around and go ahead and pull the trigger. I'll be going with the lighter weight stuff. Since there is no difference in price (except a restoking fee for the stock stroke crank) I am going to use the 4.15 crank, 6.86 rods and matching pistons.

P.S: If anyone needs a brand new 8 bolt Eagle crank with 3.75 stroke, let me know. I can get it for cost and it will save me from having to pay the restoking fee.
you can call me Jay