Author Topic: Is this VIN tag legit?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
Is this VIN tag legit?
« on: April 27, 2009 - 10:57:18 PM »
I noticed the rivets for this '70 car are not the "rosette" type the factory used...but it sure looks like its been riveted in place for a long time at least. The number matches the fender tag and the door tag. Havent checked anywhere else yet.
Thanks.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: Is this VIN tag legit?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009 - 11:56:52 PM »
They could have replaced the dash pad prior... :dunno:

How do the numbers match up with the rest of the car? door sticker, cowl, rad support...etc.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009 - 01:49:28 AM »
The tag looks legit, but I'm no expert. But all 3 of my cars have the rosette style rivets, and those definitely aren't them.

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009 - 08:10:53 AM »
The dashpad has for sure been replaced so I guess thats the reason. They switched it to the new pad. As a matter of fact, unless a car has been properly stored all these years, how can the pad not have been replaced! I would think the rosette rivets would be rare by now, as well as radiator support vin stamps from frontal accident repairs. That support is practically sacrificial in a minor accident.
Can someone tell me exactly where the radiator support stamp should be located, and the cowl stamp? Any pics?
Thanks again.
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009 - 09:00:10 AM »
Radiator support numbers should be on the drivers side top.  Could be on any of the metal pieces that are the radiator support.  Usually upside down.
The cowl numbers should be around the drivers side cowl screen on the flat section under the hood.

Looks like a good tag to me. You can purchase the rossete rivets if you are interested in replacing the incorrect rivets.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline hebeegbz

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009 - 07:57:02 PM »
i agree its a new pad also the rivets are used on many aplications ,still around . if the core #s are not on top check between the radiator and core facing to the rear of the car . :wave:
thread gone in 60 seconds

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009 - 11:53:40 PM »
They are not cheap but the rossette rivets are still around. If it is legit I would leave it alone, it looks fine to me but change them out if it bugs you. Can cost between 25 and 50 bucks for a set of rivets.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*