Author Topic: Well yall, I lost my job today.  (Read 2904 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
Well yall, I lost my job today.
« on: April 30, 2009 - 11:06:48 PM »
I didn't think our company was doing that bad, but evidently they were doing bad enough to let a bunch of us go. I'm not sure how many they did let go since I was the first one told, but I think it was about 10 or 12, out of about 40.

My son was just born 3 weeks ago so that makes me nervous, but I know that God is watching out for us. He always has and always will.

Biggest problem is that here in the Barnett shale nobody is hiring, so I'm probably gonna have to look around South Texas, East Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or maybe even as far as North Dakota and Pennsylvania.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Well yall, I lost my job today.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009 - 11:09:41 PM »
Wow that is sad news.  I wish you well.  Should we maybe watch our papers for your special skills in the want adds?

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009 - 11:11:03 PM »
Sorry to hear your job loss I know how you feel for sure.  congration for your son being born and take care and god will show you another door open to you soon.  I will keep you in my prayers also.  Keep your chin up and good luck with job hunt,  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009 - 11:12:21 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that. But congrats on your new son. Good luck and God Bless.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009 - 11:16:19 PM »
Thanks yall. I know it's not as bad as what happened to Shelly but it does suck. This is the first job I have been let go from. I've been here for 2 years now and helped build this company up from just one truck. It's pretty hard, I had a lot of loyalty to this company.

What I do is called Coiled Tubing, and it is a specialized field in the Oil field. I have some connections so I'm gonna start looking around.

Good thing is I have my CDL with a Hazmat endorsement so if I have to I can always resort to driving trucks, although I don't think I would like driving over the road much.
Kevin

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009 - 11:24:20 PM »
Sorry to hear you lost your job. Hang in there hopefully something comes along quick your way. Last year I lost my job. Later I had another one that was better. Sometimes I think it was meant to be. So it may be the same for you.
Good Luck and stay positive. Follow up on everything and you'll land another.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009 - 11:33:26 PM »
2 years is nothing. Work somewhere for 24 and see how it feels. If you have special skills and a CDL like that and you're young you'll be OK. The ones I worry about are the 1,000's of GM and Chrysler workers that will be shed in the next few months. I heard 1,000 GM dealerships are getting the ax this coming month and who knows how many at Chrysler. So much for the nationwide shortage of mechanics.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009 - 02:37:29 AM »
That sucks , I have had 64 jobs now & have been let go many times , it never gets easier

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009 - 06:51:26 AM »
It`s tough to try and do a good job and still get laid off.We have had a bunch of lay offs and last week we had a company meeting and the owner said that we are still just making it and they weren`t sure if there would be more cuts.He is usaully more positive so I think that was a hint that more layoffs are inevitable unless we pick up some work.I still feel fairly secure but am definitly worried as my trade is really hurting right now with a lot of jobs going overseas.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009 - 07:58:58 AM »
Sorry to hear it. I was in the exact same boat once. Lost a job right after finding out my wife was pregnant with our first child. You are absolutely right though, God will find a way for you. He will provide and that peace of mind is precious. Here is hoping that your situation turns around very quickly and you find a better job than before.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009 - 08:27:18 AM »
Hang tough buddy, the work invoirment out there is bad no doubt, but you just never know, something may open up quickly. One good part I guess is that it's sumer time and you can collect unemployment and spend some extra time with that new baby. Good luck.  :2thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009 - 09:42:43 AM »
sorry to hear that, hope you find something soon
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline highspeeddirt

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009 - 09:54:01 AM »
Thanks yall. I know it's not as bad as what happened to Shelly but it does suck. This is the first job I have been let go from. I've been here for 2 years now and helped build this company up from just one truck. It's pretty hard, I had a lot of loyalty to this company.

What I do is called Coiled Tubing, and it is a specialized field in the Oil field. I have some connections so I'm gonna start looking around.

Good thing is I have my CDL with a Hazmat endorsement so if I have to I can always resort to driving trucks, although I don't think I would like driving over the road much.

Hey, I'll keep my ears out for you.  We are short handed on our coil crews right now, but they have a hiring freeze on us.  They are staying relatively busy, but our contract with seeco comes up for negotiations next month.  Hopefully it turns for the good.  They have already cut our bonuses, hourly, guaranteed 50 hours, overtime, and several more of the "little" benefits we had.  They got rid of 2 admin folks and 1 mechanic so far.  Hopefully no more. I got told I was getting promoted to supervisor on our other snubbing unit, but I am not holding my breath for that with alll this going on.  I know you hated working in Arkansas doing jobs for seeco before, but I'll let you know if we start hiring again.  CUDD is a pretty large company, so I think they might weather out this better than some of the small ones.  You might check with KEY.  I had a rig operator tell me they have some coil over here now.  Good luck bud!

Oh, my brother in-law is supervisor at a place hauling drilling mud for chesapeake.  I could check with him if you decide to go the driving route.

Butte, MT

Mike

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009 - 10:44:40 AM »
Thanks Highspeed. I really appreciate it. I don't want to move down to driving yet, it doesn't make as much money as CT. I'm talking to some people that I've come to be good friends with over the years and trying to get a job running tools. I don't think I'm gonna be able to find anything here in the Barnett. I think I will be able to get on a rotation in Pennsylvania, 21/21 doing CT. It's gonna suck being away from my son for 21 days but at least I will have a job. I also might be able to get on down in Buffalo, TX, but I need to find out what pay is and all that.

71Chally, 2 years may not sound like much to you but the longest I've been at a job has been 2 years. I'm only 27 years old and 4 years out of High school was spent in the Marine Corps, so 2 years is a big deal to me. I know its not 24, but like I said I have never worked anywhere more than 2 years, and the other couple jobs I have had I only worked there for 1-2 years. I quit those on my own because I either moved or got a better job offer.

I'll tell yall though, nothing made me feel better than coming home and holding my son. I pretty much just held him until I went to sleep last night. He made me feel a lot better.
Kevin

Offline priderocks

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009 - 04:03:15 PM »
Hang in there, lemming. I know it's tough losing a job- never is easy. Count your blessings with that beautiful baby.