Brakes will not bleed? help!

Author Topic: Brakes will not bleed? help!  (Read 1086 times)

Offline doncarson

Brakes will not bleed? help!
« on: May 02, 2009 - 08:05:17 PM »
I have switched out the drum brakes for a disc setup on my 73 cuda. The car should have had discs but it had drums on it when I bought it. It had the power booster and prop valve on it but drums on the front. It is a BS23 cuda.
I bought a complete power disc kit, installed the new booster, new master cylinder and discs. I retained the original prop valve. I have tried bleeding the brakes but I can not get anything out of the rear lines. I have pumped and pumped, and when I open the rear bleeder with the pedel down i get nothing.  I checked the front and they bleed fine.
What can be wrong???
What can I do.
Thanks for any help....
34 days til the power tour TIME IS RUNNING OUT

Offline Changin Gears

Re: Brakes will not bleed? help!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009 - 09:10:19 PM »
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?  That usually gets its working.  I have also been in your situation and pumping like a maniac will get them working.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline doncarson

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009 - 09:47:26 PM »
yes, I bench bleed the MC and have been pumping...?????

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009 - 11:34:55 PM »
the prop valve could be plugged , you can undo the lines towards the rear & bleed at the connections until you find whre it is blocked . once bled the hyd pressure may clear the blockage . the rear line could also be pinched off , or the inner liner on the rear rubber hose could be ruptured causing a blockage as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline BarracudaDave

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009 - 11:37:36 PM »
"I have pumped and pumped, and when I open the rear bleeder with the pedel down i get nothing."

Are you getting any pedal at all on the rear lines?  If not, I would open the rear bleeders (you can start with the left rear) and pump the pedal slowly down then let it up, repeat, repeat, repeat, until you get fluid at the bleeder.  Don't worry about opening and closing the bleeder until you get some fluid coming out.  Check the fluid level in the reservoir occasionally and keep it topped off.

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009 - 02:09:57 AM »
Have you tried removing the bleeder and running a wire through it? This is has happened on every one of my mopars. Old packed dirt and rust makes concrete :2thumbs:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009 - 03:39:03 AM »
  Don't worry about opening and closing the bleeder until you get some fluid coming out. 

:clueless:  don`t you suck in air just as fast as you push out fluid that way?

I have no idea how you call it in english ,but I always use a device to get the air out... some suck the fluid through and other types push it through.  Big advantage is that you will never kill the master cylinder.  A lot of times when they get older you ruïn the cups when pumping since you push them to areas where they don`t go normally.  I`m getting the feeling this might have happened here too...
*** Bart ***