Author Topic: Relocating Radiator in front of core support?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Relocating Radiator in front of core support?
« on: May 02, 2009 - 08:55:01 PM »
Kind of a strange question, but here goes.  I am wondering how hard it would be and what would be entailed to relocating the radiator to in front of the core support.  I currently have very little clearance for my current electric fan which I will be changing to a Lincoln MKVIII fan, and in the future I may need room for intercoolers too. 

I'd prefer to have the intercooler(s) mounted where the radiator is normally.  This will make it much easier to route piping (at least 3") since I won't have to pass it through or under the core support, and I will still have the radiator receiving air first.  It'd also reduce the potential for lag and heat soaking with the shorter run of piping.  There seems to be a lot of unused room between the core support and grille area.  I know I will need longer hoses and the upper should pass easily through the driver side core support hole, but what about the lower?  What about mounting it to the front side?  Has anyone done this? 

I have a universal crossflow aluminum radiator, 19 x 27 inches.  I wonder how hard it would be to make a completely new core support, or if it would be easier to modify the existing one more than I have already.  Pictures or other's experiences would help a bunch for planning. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Relocating Radiator in front of core support?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009 - 11:19:01 PM »
not really difficult to do this , the hardest part is planning the inlet & outlet to go through or around the support . I was planning to twin turbo my Charger , but it has 18+ " between the rad & the grille . I had planned to put the intercoolers in front of the rad though as they are more efficient getting the cold air before the rad does
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009 - 03:27:17 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline quagmire

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009 - 11:28:00 PM »
Yeah, I plan on having the upper hose run through that opening in the support.  I'd imagine I can run the lower under it without it hanging too low to be a problem.  I'm not too worried about the efficiency loss since I will also be spraying methanol into the intake tract, that should more than makeup for the airflow loss being behind the radiator.  I guess I'll have to pull the front end down and see what I have to work with for mounting. 

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009 - 09:00:02 AM »
Quick question - What kind of overheating problems might you run into by having the radiator so far away from the cooling fans, especially at low speed when it is most critical?  Also, won't the purpose of the intercoolers be defeated by putting them behind the radiator, because now you will be blowing the hot air from the radiator through them, instead of the cooler fresh air?

Offline quagmire

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009 - 10:34:36 AM »
I have electric fans mounted to the radiator, so that won't change anything.  As for the intercoolers, there are quite a few OE designs that have the intercooler behind the radiator and condenser.  While not ideal, it still works significantly better than nothing.  There is so much room to work with that I don't think it'll be too much of an issue.  I plan on having as much of a gap as possible between the two to minimize heat transfer to the intercooler, and maybe a scoop or baffle to direct the airflow.  In addition to meth spray, my intake charges should be very cool.  I want the radiator mounted behind the grill for easier packaging and cooling.  I can always run less boost if the intake air gets too hot.  If the engine is running hot, I'm SOL.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009 - 01:32:32 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :2thumbs: :stirpot:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline vs2

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010 - 09:00:25 PM »
Did you get the Lincoln fan to work?

Still testing the Mark VIII fan (modified :)) but it looks like it will work. I only have 3.5" between the core and the Meziere pump.

EDIT: All installed. This thing really moves some air!!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010 - 10:02:52 PM by vs2 »

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010 - 09:15:16 PM »
Just to give you idea's..... I used a Chevy HHR ( Homo Hot Rod) $50 from rock auto fit like a glove!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010 - 03:23:27 PM »
HHR ( Homo Hot Rod)

That is Funny Brad.  My brother is a HOMO and used to drive a PT Cruiser. Same basic shape as the HHR, go figure!    Drives a Prius now and is really into recycling....   

Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010 - 07:50:31 PM »
 Quagmire, don't know what you're running (challey or cuda). but I'm in a cuda with BB and even if I mount my rad in frt I'd still be screwed. This will leave no room for the fans as pushers or pullers on the rad, and if I tried to pull through the intercooler I'd still have no room. Depending upon your turbo size which with mine I need an intercooler about 3" deep.  So check things out before getting too wild. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.  Till then I just don't keep my foot in it too far.  Pete