Author Topic: Shoulder Surgery on monday - What am I in for?????  (Read 933 times)

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
Shoulder Surgery on monday - What am I in for?????
« on: May 02, 2009 - 11:31:08 PM »
Just like it says, I am having shoulder surgery on Monday to correct  my little mishap I had at the bowling lanes..... I tore all but 1 attaching tendons or muscles from my shoulder to my arm. The doc says he is glad he does not have to have this surgery because it is going to scream, is this true?  He says a hospital stay for a day or 2 may be necessary.
I am not one for pain meds so am I really going to need it?
He also says he needs to file down a bone in the shoulder to help the movement, whatever that means.
Home for 4-6 weeks and then the sling comes off.
How is the therapy for this type of injury, once again he says it will be long, so does it take long?

Nick

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
Re: Shoulder Surgery on monday - What am I in for?????
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009 - 12:45:10 AM »
Ouch Nick! My friend had a separated shoulder, don't know if that is the same, but he didn't need surgery so probably not. He said he had pain but he seemed to bounce back pretty quick. I hope you have the same results. Sorry I can't tell you more. I haven't had many problems myself so I'm ignorant down that road. I'm sure someone on here will know. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009 - 12:54:08 AM »
Ouchy. Take the meds, thats what they are for. Hope you have a quick recovery   :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009 - 01:21:18 AM »
Nick I know you were really hurtung at MATS! Hope all goes smooth and you heal up quick!!  :2thumbs:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline sixpack340

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009 - 03:33:33 AM »
this is weird, i just got home from the hospital with a torn trap in my shoulder. hurts like a mother!! they thought i tore an artery but luckily i didnt. im all jacked on vicodin now. helps, but the old shoulder still hurts. hang in there buddy and take the meds, i hate meds too, but pain killers can be your best friend.
i plan to leave this world the same way i came into it...by accident.

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009 - 09:05:58 AM »
Wish I could tell you it's not that bad but it was for me, but my shoulder ball broke, the big round ball that goes into the shoulder socket.
       The big hurt was rehab, because they immobilized my shoulder for the tendon repair the ball grew a ridge where it healed and I had to wear it off in therapy. So I dont know if the tendons or the break were the pain causer lol, I hope it was the break and you dont have to go through it.

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009 - 01:55:31 PM »
Nick,
I work for an orthopaedics company we do mainly knees and hips but some shoulders and I can tell you the the surgery will be the least of the pain. Rehab will be very painful but if you do not do it you will never get mobility back in your shoulder. I have personnaly cut the tendons in my hand and can tell you the rehad was very painful but I pushed hard and have complete function in my fingers because of it. You will do fine but you really do need to get your head around the rehab as that will determine how many problems you will have in the future with that shoulder. Good Luck
Mark

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009 - 08:05:43 PM »
Good Luck on the surgery. As far as the meds go. I hate taking pain meds. But I've been having very painful back problems since Feb. Pain meds can be your friend. But if you wait until the pain is unbearable the meds won't work.  :2thumbs: 

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009 - 08:51:28 PM »
thanks for the replys and I will see you in a few....... :sadwavey:

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009 - 09:03:59 PM »
Nick
I am a Physical Therapist and I can tell you after rehabing a number of shoulders the most important thing is to do what the doctors and therapist tell you to do. Obey all the restriction you will have and when it is time fo therapy work with your therapist to get the best results. The shoulder is the most compliate joint in the body and with so many planes of motion it is the hardest to rehab. If you do as instructed and give it your all you will be fine. If I can be of any help just e-mail me.

Richard
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009 - 01:01:59 AM »
2003 I blew out miniscus in my left knee. I did it gardening, sitting on heels while mountaining dirt up on potato plants. Doctor showed me what it was and that they would do arthroscopic surgery to clean out the torn area. Then it would heal in 5-6 weeks. Didn't seem like a major big deal on the pre surgery appointment at the time.

Two days later I went in and was released 3-4 hours after surgery, later accompianed home. Pain level at release was bearable. Rate at a 4-5 That all changed about 3-4 hours at bedside once home. It increased to 9. It was to the point I had to take double morphine. Next day it started cooling off and became tolorable once again.

I imagine your shoulder area may not be any different. so be prepared.
Like others have said work thru the pain levels once in rehab to get your mobility back. Good luck and heal back quick.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009 - 11:55:07 AM »
Thanks, I had the surgery, sore as #### but I survived, spent a couple of days in the hospital. put in 4 large holes to access, 4screws or barb screws, they decided to detatch my bicept at one of the two anchors and I am now getting a whole lot of love from my wife,  :woohoo: eating what she thinks I need to get healthy  :1zhelp: and doing what I like to do  :sleeping: :chatting:

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009 - 12:53:10 PM »
Awesome! Glad to hear you are doing well. Soak up as much of your wife's lovin as you can, if you're like me it wont take long before you re-introduce yourself to the doghouse. :bigsmile:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009 - 01:26:39 PM »
Glad you are doing well.....    :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009 - 01:29:51 PM »
Take care Nick.  Good for you that your wife is showing you the love.  :2thumbs:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(