Author Topic: Front Spoiler...debate.  (Read 10383 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Front Spoiler...debate.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009 - 10:22:15 PM »
HP2   Thanks for posting the pictures! What thicknes of aluminum did you use?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Pale Rider

• Pale Rider
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009 - 08:17:25 AM »
The MAS is not a bad looking piece, it just lacks sufficient mounting surface to keep it in place. With some fabricated braces, it would be a very nice piece. 
Neither spoiler mounts up nicely beneath my car. There are only a few smooth panels on my whole car, so they may close up better once I restore the proper curves to the car.
With some reinforcement and mounting brackets, the MAS unit could be quite nice and stout enough to be effective.

You don't seem to be too negative about this spoiler. Although it needs some McGyvering to mount it.
Some Cuda owners have been able to mount it and I can't imagine that the curve of the valances and/or the shape of the 2 versions of that spoiler differ that much.
Perhaps I've got to ask Travis72 or fellow European jvike how to mount it.

But in the MAS RACING WARNING topic there are 2 Challenger owners who are very negative about this MAS front spoiler:
... I just received a front one piece spoiler for my Challenger and needless to say I am not impressed at all.
What a POS.
... There is no way to mount this one without adding your own flange, plus it's not even the correct body contour.

I bought that SAME spoiler back in 92. No clue what it actually fits
If you can, SEND IT BACK!!!!

So 2 Cuda owners who mounted it and seem satisfied, 2 Challenger owners who hate it and one Challenger owner who mounted it but is working on a custom one.

Hmm, what to do  :dunno: :clueless:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009 - 10:56:09 AM »
Seems you might be satisfied with the MAS piece IF you can get it mounted.
For the low investment cost there is nothing else out there other than making one from scratch.
The effort & cost of custom fitting the MAS piece should be no greater than making your own & in the end would probably be considerably less effort.    :2cents:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009 - 11:42:42 AM »
My fabricated units are made from .040 aluminum.

The MAS spoiler is a generic, inexpensive, fiberglass piece. Their front spoiler is not specific to Cuda or Challengers, or any thing except maybe Camaros or Mustangs. You will get the same unit if you buy one for an E body, or F body, or Maverick, or Gremlin.  In my view, their front spoiler is a slightly larger version of the 1st gen Camaro or 2nd gen Mustang chin spoiler.

Most the issue I've read of with MAS products is from persons who thought they were getting a fully fitted, custom made, restoration quality, ready to bolt on piece comparable to other high end fiberglass manufacturers. This is not the case. If you want a budget piece and don't mind working on it some to get the fit and finish you want, MAS is a bargain. It will not fit precisely to the contours of a lot of cars, but is close enough to look okay. Because Challengers have turn signal pods under the bumper, it does create a varition on contour that will impact fitting of this unit compared to a Cuda. So, how well you like it is subject to personal interpretation.

Another alterantive is to buy the Cuda AAR race piece and adapt it to fit. However, instead of cutting up or modifying the $60 unit you pay to MAS for their generic spoiler, you will be paying $200+ for a cuda peice that WILL require modifications to fit under a Challenger.  For a roll of the dice that achieves the same results, I'd rather loose $60 than $200 if I was unhappy with the finished product, but I'm a cheapskate.

The factory style TA chin units may be your best option. They fit the Challenger valance specifically, they mount in a factory arrangement, they look good without being intrusive, and they are moderetely effective. However, like I said above, don't get the MAS versions if you expect a factory duplicate. They make inexpensive, workable pieces and do not make finished to factory spec restoration parts.

It does sound like there is a business opportunity in here if someone was so inclined.  :biggrin:

The effort & cost of custom fitting the MAS piece should be no greater than making your own & in the end would probably be considerably less effort.    :2cents:

This is the truth. Fitting up my fabricated units has been a fair amount of work. Without a large shear to cleanly cut peices of aluminum, most home efforts may end up looking pretty cobbled. Trimming four feet of sheet stock with hand snips ain't going to get it. Glassing in a steel mounting strip and a couple of brackets on the MAS unit would be easy by comparison. Personally, I wanted something bigger and more competition inspired than the MAS piece which is why I am making my own. Plus at the time I worked in a sheet metal shop so all the material was free and I had access to the large shears and brakes to make clean cuts and crisp bends. Since I have them now, all I have to do is refine them for the look I want.

Offline Pale Rider

• Pale Rider
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009 - 02:52:58 PM »
OK, thanks for your detailed reply.
I like to customize stuff, so I think I give this MAS spoiler a try. Won't loose that much money if I f*ck things up.
Getting that POS  ;) in one piece here in Holland in a cheap way, will perhaps be a bigger issue that getting it on my Challenger.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009 - 04:33:20 PM »
MAS now advertises a Challenger and a Barracuda version of that front spoiler. I haven't seen both, so I have no way of knowing if they're actually different, but the website has changed. It looks to me like the MAS one is basically just the outer form. If you have any fiberglass skills, I'd just go out and get some resin and some fiberglass cloth, maybe a thick "chop" type cloth, and just fill it in until it was even with the outer edge. Looks like you'd make it at least a 1/4" thicker. And while you're at it you could glass in some 90 degree aluminum brackets to bolt it up. Or maybe even some steel 90 degree pieces with nuts welded on the back. If you wanted to get really crazy, you could go over the chop mat with a weave cloth and gel coat the back too, it would really clean things up and add more strength.

I think I might have to get one and do this!  :thinkerg:

Getting the outer shape right is the hard part really, or, deciding what it should look like anyway. Reinforcing what's already there shouldn't be too bad, even if your 'glassing skills aren't that great.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009 - 04:36:18 PM by 72bluNblu »

Offline Pale Rider

• Pale Rider
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009 - 01:26:24 PM »
MAS spoiler is now on my car. Took some drilling/shaving/grinding/sawing/painting, but I'm satisfied with the endresult:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 - 04:30:25 AM by Roland »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009 - 01:52:20 PM »
I like it.    :2thumbs:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009 - 02:42:15 PM »
Excellent    :2thumbs:    So have you had a chance to test at speed?
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009 - 03:01:50 PM »
Oooo...That spoiler looks nice!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Pale Rider

• Pale Rider
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009 - 03:47:53 PM »
...So have you had a chance to test at speed?
Did a 100 mph on a local road and that felt good  :naughty:
At the end of this month I'll try to do a bit of German autobahn. I will attach my video camera on the rear windscreen for some in-car shots, to see what the nose does at high speeds.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009 - 04:16:20 PM »
looking good  :drool:      100mph.... da mag nie....  :nono: :bigsmile:
*** Bart ***

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009 - 05:11:28 PM »
Ow great challenger inoy to hijack but can u please send me some pics?
I'm painting my car black.
Thank u

Offline Pale Rider

• Pale Rider
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009 - 10:54:02 AM »
Ow great challenger inoy to hijack but can u please send me some pics?
I'm painting my car black.
Thank u

On my site there are several pics and videos of my car (see also the 3 links below).
And of course on page 1 of this topic there's a clear pic.
But I don't know what you're looking for exactly?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009 - 08:53:11 PM »
  Dude....these videos are KILLER

Pale Ride -

Xhaust

- High Plains Shifter 
Screwed by Photobucket!